1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 16: So we were talking about rules

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by QYFW, Dec 18, 2017.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Caldwell is a known quantity as is just about every coach in the league. He’s not going to get better at this point. He’s not going to get more imganititve or prepare his players any better or worse than they have been prepared for th last 25 years.
    You either hire a young coordinator with fresh ideas or get lucky with a recently fired young head coach who was in a bad situation.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Caldwell is very possibly the worst coach in the history of the NFL in game management/clock management situations.

Fly likes this.
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I could see the Lions just elevating Jim Bob. My point is that the team shouldn't be looking at a teardown when they aren't that far off.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

He might be in the top three, but Tomlin/Roethlisberger look like they've never spent one minute in practice going over these situations.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Nah. Unless the coach has serious clock management issues, close games are like turnovers. Goes in cycles.

Panthers were 2-6 in games decided by three or fewer points last season. They're 8-1 in games decided by eight points or fewer this season, and 4-0 in games decided by a field goal or less. Same coach.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And Caldwell is awful with time management.

Fly likes this.
  8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think Cincinnati will be a historically bad organization as long as this generation of the Brown family is in charge. But the Ford's have seemed to be supportive to a fault of their management and not particularly cheap.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I figured that would be the Boston take. That Brady hasn't gotten hurt after the Patriots dealt both of their backup quarterbacks is just the latest example of that team's deal with the devil.

I wonder how they would react if Brady's Achilles' tendon snapped the first play of their season finale against the Jets.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

So is no one going to mention the fact that Caldwell sent nine guys onto the field ? We just gonna let that slide? And a couple years ago sent 10 on the field against Green Bay. And two years ago had his defense set up for numerous laterals on a final play against Aaron Rodgers, who simply slung is 60 years for a Hail Mary touchdown.

And maybe is Ill preparedness would be tolerable if he wasn’t such a condescending ass to the media.

Fly likes this.
  11. outofplace

Bad interference calls are one thing, but bad reversals by some guy who isn't even in the stadium are another matter. Given that the Patriots have had four such calls go their way this season on touchdowns that either tied a game or put a new team in the lead late in a game, the league has a real perception problem.

To be clear, I'm not saying there is a conspiracy. I don't do that. I'm saying the catch rule is a disaster and the Patriots are the luckiest team in pro sports today, perhaps ever.

12. outofplace

That certainly was the impression left by the final moments against the Patriots last week, especially upon hearing Roethlisberger and the coaches talk about how it went down.

Draft saved Draft deleted