1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 16: So we were talking about rules

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by QYFW, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

mos def

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

At least when it comes to NBA and college hoops, when Hollinger looked at close games, he found that the best coaches were better in those situations because they just "avoided" them altogether. Meaning, in a 10-point game late, Duke would try to go up 20 instead of letting a couple baskets get them into a single possession game. It wouldn't surprise me if the NFL worked in a similar fashion. Like, Belichick's record in close games probably isn't better than anyone else's, but he probably has a lower number of those games than you'd expect. (I'm currently too lazy to look this up myself.) It doesn't surprise me that Ron Rivera has 17(!) of those games in two years.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I get that thinking. I see it often in tennis, when some pretty great players are just so-so in tiebreakers. But then, just getting them to a tiebreaker is hard enough for their opponents.

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I used to think how lucky the Yankees were during their late-90s, early 2000s dynasty. Turned out I was just a bitter Red Sox fan.

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And now you are a whiny Patriots fan. Your team got four massive breaks this year, four calls even the national experts are saying were wrong. I don't expect you to acknowledge that. You used to cry when people dared say Aaron Hernandez was injury prone before we found out he had more serious issues.

7. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

That is no doubt true if you are under 40. The last decent young quarterback the Bears had was Jim McMahon and he was drafted in 1982.

QYFW likes this.
  8. outofplace

In addition to Antonio Brown, the Steelers will also be without guard Ramon Foster on offense today. He is still in the concussion protocol. B.J. Finney, a strong run blocker who gets lost in pass protection sometimes, will take Foster's place.

The Steelers do get right tackle Marcus Gilbert back from a four-game suspension and tight end Vance McDonald returns after missing last week with a shoulder injury. All of those changes suggest a run-heavy game plan.

The Steelers also get cornerback Joe Haden back from broke fibula. I don't think his absence was the only reason the Pittsburgh pass defense faltered over the last month, but it was certainly a part of the problem.

The Texans are also missing a starter up front due to a concussion. Jeff Allen, a guard who had been filling in at left tackle, is inactive.

9. outofplace

The Steelers just pushed their lead to 17-0 on a one-yard touchdown run by fullback Roosevelt Nix. It was his first carry of the season.

The Texans had 2nd-and-goal on the Steelers' one. After being stopped just short on second down, they threw twice for some reason after running well on the drive. One was a bad throw that missed an open receiver and the fourth-down pass was another terrible throw, this one intercepted.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Texans were in the shotgun at the half yard line on those 3rd and 4th downs. Idiots.

HanSenSE and sgreenwell like this.
  11. Last time I remember seeing a team use an emergency QB was Dallas... Tony Dorsett finished the game after Dany White and maybe Gary Hogeboom went down.

It appears Yates will re-enter the game. ... Texans/NFL now going the extra mile to make sure QBs aren't concussed. I'm this is another rule that will benefit the Pats down the stretch.

12. outofplace

Has the NFL ruled on the Texans' failure to properly follow the concussion protocol with Tom Savage yet? That was disgusting and dangerous.

Of course, the worst they will do is fine the Texans $100,000. I'm not even sure they can do that because I think this is their first offense.

Draft saved Draft deleted