1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christmas parties and bonuses

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Doc Holliday, Dec 20, 2016.

1. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Yes.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If anyone had sick time remaining for the year, they should have taken it today. Then they would still get paid and not have to work.

A massive sickout might make them change their minds on the policy.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Ain't no such law. If you're at 40 hours or fewer, there is no regulation on pay rate.

Companies recognize holidays at their own discretion. My first two shops did not recognize MLK Day. My current one does.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Today is Monday, big shooter.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Not in Fredrick's world. It's Sunday.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah. On the Third Person Calendar, it's still Sunday.

For the rest of us? Monday all day

expendable and SpeedTchr like this.
  7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Christmas was a Sunday last year and they only wanted to pay time and a half to those who worked Monday, on Christmas observed. Those who actually worked on Christmas Day fought that and got the extra pay.

Maybe that's why they stopped that, we broke the bank.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Slacker likes this.
  9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

That guy has big-time management potential.

10. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Not a Christmas party/bonus comment, but a story worth passing along. Had Christmas Eve off this year and went to a family dinner attended by a few non-family members who were friends of my brother- and sister-in-law. I said something about my work schedule through New Year's and one of the non-family guests who has no clue about how newspapers operate said, "You really have to WORK all week?" I know it's not unusual for a lot of workplaces to shut down starting Christmas Eve and ending Jan. 2, but more than ever it seems like the rule rather than the exception.

11. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

People in the real world are amazed at the hours journalists work. It's totally amazing and unappreciated by the CEOs who will lay you off at any time as they buy another mansion and boat.

12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

What a bunch of cheap shitheads.

Draft saved Draft deleted