1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Big Ball Theory

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Mar 14, 2017.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Who says he's trying to compete with the NBA?

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Good point. Rephrase: He's the 1,000,000th person to attempt a secondary, start-up pro basketball league.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Umm, NO. The last League to try to compete with the NBA was the ABA. That ended in 1976 with a merger at gunpoint. Nobody else has dared try since.

If this idea is intended to compete with anyone, it's college basketball, not the NBA--on the premise that some fans might wanna watch one year of last year's high school stars here, rather than in college. But even Lavar's not delusional enough to think this would draw eyes away from the NBA.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
  4. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Smart take. I think you're right that the NBA will soon get rid of the one-and-done rule, and then all of this nonsense goes away. I'm all for not being the NCAA's lapdog, but yeah, I don't see LaVar being the one to pull it all off.

5. tapintoamerica

See my rephrase in earlier post.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

30 years ago today, LaVar Ball dropped 12 points on the top-ranked Arizona Wildcats.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Please, dear Jesus, on your birthday, give LaVar the insight to name Isiah Thomas the Commisioner of your league.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Good lead to a crappy assignment.

There is no easy way to deliver this, so let’s just put it out there:

LaVar Ball, along with his sons Lonzo, LiAngelo and LaMelo, by virtue of what they did in the name of the Big Baller Brand from their modest Chino Hills home base, attaching themselves to basketball royalty at UCLA and with the Lakers, and detaching themselves from the norm in Lithuania, China and President Trump’s Twitter account, are the 2017 Southern California News Group Sports People of the Year.

If you somehow made it this deep into the story, we owe an explanation.

SCNG Sports Person of the Year: Why we kept our eye on the Ball Family (sunglasses optional) – Press Enterprise

Batman likes this.
  9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

11. tapintoamerica

Months ago, BBB said orders would be delivered in November. Did they meet that deadline? Has there been any reporting on this?

12. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted