1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

What's wrong with it? I don't subscribe to the Times and was only able to read that short story. Was any of it found to be made up?

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

One silver lining I noticed: It seems that almost all of the offenders are old-ish (over 50?), which makes me wonder if society's corrective was underway before the #metoo movement started and and to what extent would it have resolved itself. I don't claim to know the answer.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

People donating to a fund to encourage accusers to come forward in an effort to help their candidate? A lawyer is soliciting people to come forward, with financial compensation available, and pretty clearly it was an effort to damage Trump's Presidency. It was no less sleazy when people were bankrolling Paula Jones.
    One of the reasons the allegations by Gretchen Carlson and Ashley Judd stuck was they actually had something to lose coming forward (some might say they'd already lost before they did) but they both had money and fame so the common defenses by famous or powerful harassers "She was just looking for a payoff or trying to make a name for herself" didn't apply.

PS - Guy - I kind of think the harassers who have been brought down just didn't have enough juice or tire on the tread to make these things go away. I imagine there are a few people in media and entertainment who make enough other people enough money to help keep things under wraps. I figured at least one movie franchise would have to replace a key actor when all this broke.

5. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

If Trump broke all the rules while bullying his way to the presidency ... are there any rules left to honor?

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Hopefully message board etiquette.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think in some ways young men do it more.
    Certainly in Silicon Valley.

8. lakefront

lol

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Btw, to all those who said that Bill Cosby was a victim of racism, that he was accused because he’s a black man, please cut your right thumb off with a steak knife

10. lakefront

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Welcome back to Alabama. What's the problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.