1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Me, when it is 7 degrees and windy and the dog needs to go out. But I'm not running a country or tweeting about it.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I qualify as not handsome, but gorgeous...and a very attractive gorgeous at that!

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Can’t wait to watch Dems run against the economy in 2018, as we reach full employment, wages are rising, and tax cuts kick in.

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Donald Trump Goes Full Fredo

It may not be the newsiest—arguably it is the least newsy—but the most important moment in Wolff’s book are words attributed at second or third-hand to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell at the time of Donald Trump’s election. “He will sign anything we put in front of him.”

Who and what Donald Trump is has been known to everyone and anyone who cared to know for years and decades. Before he was president, he was the country’s leading racist conspiracy theorist. Before he was the country’s leading racist conspiracy theorist, he was a celebrity gameshow host. Before he was a celebrity gameshow host, he was the multi-bankrupt least trusted name in real estate. Before he was the multi-bankrupt least trusted name in real estate, he was the protege of Roy Cohn’s repeatedly accused of ties to organized crime. From the start, Donald Trump was a man of many secrets, but no mysteries. Inscribed indelibly on the public record were the reasons for responsible people to do everything in their power to bar him from the presidency. ...

However crazy Trump may be, in one way he is indeed the “very stable genius” he claims to be: Trump understands how to mobilize hatred and resentment to his own advantage and profit. He has risen higher than Joe McCarthy or Charles Lindbergh or Theodore Bilbo—and he has lasted already nearly a full year in office, holding the approval of one-third of the country, more than sufficient to keep him there for a full term.

Michael Wolff has done a crucial service, showing more intimately than any reporter yet the true nature of the man at the center of the American system. But without the complicity of other power-holders, Trump would drop from his central position like a tooth from a rotten gum. What we need to do now is widen the camera angle beyond Fredo Trump to the hard-faced men and women over his shoulders. Those are the people who put Trump where he is, and keep him there, corrupting the institutions of American democracy and troubling the peace and security of the world.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t say I’m angry, but I’ve had a cold, that I can’t completely shake, for two weeks now. The temperature hasn’t gotten out of the teens in over 10 days. Thankfully, the wife is taking the dog for his morning walk.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

How are retail jobs doing? Pretty great, right? If only Loretta Lynn wrote songs about being a Macy's clerk's daughter.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It has been proven many times, most recently in the past presidential election, that voters often have issues they consider way more important than the state of the economy. The economy was doing great in 1968, for instance.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You're a lucky man.
    Even when I had a wife, she wouldn't have done that.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

“Don't believe these phony numbers," Trump told supporters early last year. "The number is probably 28, 29, as high as 35 [percent]. In fact, I even heard recently 42 percent."

Trump's nominee for treasury secretary, Steven Mnuchin, echoed that sentiment during his confirmation.

"The unemployment rate is not real," Mnuchin told the Senate Finance Committee. "I've traveled for the last year. I've seen this."

melock and HanSenSE like this.
  12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The glorified piss-boy who transcribes his addled stream of consciousness did that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.