1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well, some folks here called practically half the country racist. That just seems wrong.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's wrong in that it undersells it, sure.

This country was founded because a small group of white nations a few centuries ago decided that God Himself had deemed them to be special and better than all the other people, and that He wanted them to conquer them all and steal their land (and if you happened to murder them all on the way to taking their stuff, so be it, but feel free to enslave them too).

We are a racist-as-fuck society. We are the leftovers of a version of the Nazis that won and took over the globe, and we have never fully come to terms with what that means.

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Waaaaaaay too late

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It’s actually somewhat surprising that, at this point, we are as progressive as we are, in light of that historical backdrop.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The "deplorables" comment was stupid and more or less guaranteed that a certain portion of the country wasn't voting for Clinton. I can think my neighbor is white trash all day, but calling him that isn't a great idea if I want to have good relations with the guy.

This said, I've always found it funny that the same people who were triggered by being called a deplorable have no issues with calling someone a snowflake or libtard.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Let's just pause for a moment and reflect that the President of the United States, in just the first six days of this year, boasted that he is a stable genius who has a bigger nuclear button on his desk than a crazy dictator does.

Yep.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Emails!

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Everything conservatives have said for 25 years has proven to be a big fat lie. Character counts? What a fucking lie. Moral majority to pussy grabbing adultery. Deficits matter. Don’t saddle our children with debt. Tax cuts just because we don’t want to pay taxes. Fuck debt. State’s Rights? Only for slavery. Not for abortion or marijuana or gun control or environmental policy. Conservatives are just greedy as sin and don’t care what they have to do or who gets hurt. There’s no morality or humanity to republican or conservative policies. None. Zero.

And the white Europeans who set out to conquer the world were just following in the footsteps of every group of humans since man first recognized his early morning erection. It’s not white Europe thing. It’s a human thing.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It didn't make a difference among the actual deplorables she was talking about. It hurt among the people in middle America who know their dad or cousin is one of the deplorables, but didn't like hearing her say it.

It stung her in the Rust Belt and coal country when she didn't even bother to campaign there. Made voters wonder if she thought they were among the deplorables. Those people who voted for Obama twice had to at least suspect Trump was full of shit, but at least he paid them lip service.

Vombatus likes this.
  10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Thin skinned cracker bastards got their feelings hurt but it’s been cool to say punks, thugs, criminals, welfare queens, lazy, shiftless about Democrats and liberals since Carter was elected. Calling Michelle Obama a gorilla bitch was ok, but saying that following the unintellgent ramblings of a Bankrupt philanderer was deplorable is beyond the pale? What utter horse shit. Right wing nuts are just cowards and stupid. They are the wretched refuse that was welcomed but never could be successful no matter how many generations they spent mopping the floor and taking out the trash.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

“Basket of deplorables” was referring to the alt-right, aka neo-Nazis.

That didn’t used to be controversial, but now they are “very fine people” to some.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I think that there are a lot of people out there who didn't want to vote Hillary, and they put their votes wherever. There were also a lot of Republicans and others who voted for Trump, thinking that all the sideshow craziness was going to end once he got into the White House, that he'd become better or be forced by his responsibilities to grow into the job.

I'm betting that the vast majority of all of the above now wish that their votes had gone against Trump instead. I doubt they make the same choices in the next election.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.