1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I suppose their all eligible to “apply”.

Not sure how many have a good case.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Dumb. Did de Blasio say:

TOPEKA

A Kansas state lawmaker made racist comments about blacks and marijuana, saying that African-Americans had the worst response to the drug because of their “character makeup, their genetics.”

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I’m not even talking about the El Salvadorans.

But the idea that many people who have been here for almost two decades haven’t contributed enough to the U.S. to become citizens is pretty obtuse.

That, rather than “enforcement of immigration laws” or otherwise, should be at the center of the debate.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

So you can say it, you just gotta say it nice?

6. TheSportsPredictor

You can nicely say that the character of black people makes them more susceptible to marijuana?

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm asking because the response I hear with DACA and those kids is often "When they're 18, they should go back to where they were born and apply for US citizenship," but under DACA they can't do that.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Hopefully the El Salvador issue and DACA will be tied up in court so they can stay and be protected. Need to be tied up in court long enough for republicans to get their November thumping.

9. YankeeFan

So, the argument is down to, “we have to let them stay, otherwise they will abondone their children, who will then become a burden on taxpayer”?

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don’t think you can, but you seem to think de Blasio did.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

Well, part of the problem is that we let people remain here for 18 years on temporary status.

But, if they had served in the military, or married a citizen, or taken other steps, I’d imagine they’d have a case for citizenship.

Just remaining here doesn’t sound like a convincing argument for citizenship.

12. TheSportsPredictor

I am not YF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.