1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Since I am teetotal, that might be a problem. They better have a keg of Diet Dr Pepper stashed away.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Then you can’t possibly be broken enough to qualify for residency.

LongTimeListener and SpeedTchr like this.
  3. SpeedTchr

I think I would enjoy The Island.

In my work and social life, I have a pretty even mix of acquaintances from each side of the aisle. Invariably, those on the left bitch and moan about politics to an irritating degree. Those in the center and on the right rarely ever bring up politics, and we enjoy talking about a plethora of other subjects.

4. SpeedTchr

I don't drink coffee, either, so I'm probably doomed.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Develop a drug habit and we’ll talk.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  6. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

I'd be curious to hear more about this view. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but it seems that you're essentially saying that gerrymandering in a two-party system is the political equivalent of corking the bat – while partisans do it because they think it gives them a material edge, science says it doesn't.

If that is indeed your contention, are there any studies to back that up? Because certainly there is significant evidence that a clever redrawing of district lines can indeed lead to disproportionate representation compared to the proportion of overall votes (in a given state, in this case).

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yeah ... who needs checks and balances?

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

It's all a reality TV show ...

9. HanSenSE

He showed himself - again - as someone without ideas. He'll sign whatever's put in front of him, but what does he think aside from when's his next tee time?

10. HanSenSE

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Recently declassified U.S., Soviet, German, British and French documents were posted Dec. 12, 2017, by the National Security Archive at George Washington University. The subject matter: German unification and assurances regarding NATO expansion.

NATO Expansion: What Gorbachev Heard | National Security Archive

Said James Baker to Mikhail Gorbachev: "We understand that, not only for the Soviet Union but for other European countries as well, it is important to have guarantees that if the United States keeps its presence in Germany within the framework of NATO, not an inch of NATO's present military jurisdiction will spread in an eastern direction [emphasis added].”

One media organization --- The American Conservative --- published an article on the release of these documents.

When Washington Assured Russia NATO Would Not Expand

Not a word from the NY Times or the Washington Post.

Regardless of what your position is on the broken promises, the omission of even MENTIONING the release of these documents and their contents is media malpractice of the first order.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.