1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you prefer to live in Vancouver, Seattle or Portland

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by LanceyHoward, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Vashon Island

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Portland's not for everyone. It has always been a place full of pretentious, extreme personalities, and that's not always been just liberal, pretentious, extreme personalities. That's what it is right now, but that'll change over time. Portland is a place full of people who think they know better. Sometimes, they do.

I've been many times and have liked it but I tend to be drawn to strong personalities. (Seeing as mine, in person, is more analytical and calm.)

Seattle I don't really know.

Vancouver is an amazing city - a real melting pot, full of brilliant folks - but it's super expensive.

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Most were amusing in a sad way, but one was truly bizarre. Two stoners who were trying to remember where they were supposed to get off to see their parole officers.

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Haven't we gotten well past peak Portland? Seems like its coolness factor should be on the wane by now. I figured the great flanneled masses have set their sights on Asheville or somewhere in Colorado by now.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Lugnuts likes this.
  5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

What's the donut situation in Portland and Seattle?

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Portland seems to be Ground Zero for hipster donuts, like Voodoo Donuts. Weird but pretty good.

There's a stand that sells mini donuts in the Pike Place Market in Seattle that may be the best things I've ever eaten.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Also an incredible spike in housing prices in the last 2-3 years. Fully Californicated.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I just wish they'd choose cities that actually need revitalized. I know Pittsburgh has been really successful at doing it, but, hell, it's the age of Trump, let's make some deals. Amazon gets Detroit. The hipsters get Cleveland.

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Had in-laws who lived in Vancouver who were telling me many years ago about the housing prices. I want to say 25 years ago?

Last time I was in Portland I had some downtime so I hit some record stores. Found good stuff at Jackpot Records and Mississippi Records. Cool stereo store down the street from Jackpot.

I also went to Devout RCRDS, thinking a change of pace might be in order.

Artists | DEVOUT RCRDS 636 SE 11th Ave - Open Saturdays 12-8

Extreme heavy metal record store. I walk in and it seemed like the space went silent and all eyes were on the old dude. Small store and it was crowded. I browsed, couldn't find anything I fucking knew so I just picked a random and bought it. Had to buy something and give them something to talk about. Still haven't played it.

Next time I'm in Portland I want to do an edible and ride the gondola thing.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Detroit has awesome potential. Might be the perfect spot for Amazon.

Lugnuts and Machine Head like this.
  11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Trudeau > Trump, so Vancouver by default, amirite?

Seattle has a special place in my heart. Portland seems to take itself too seriously. I've never been to Vancouver.

12. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Dude, the world revolves around Austin now.

Meanwhile, the leading and/or poorest Portland hipsters have moved to Boise.

Lugnuts likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted