1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I come from the place that helped build the bombs that turned Hiroshima and Nagasaki into shitholes.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Ha. Not exactly, although I do think geopolitical does qualify it. Consider the difference in these meanings:

Washington DC has become a nightmare.

Washington DC has become a regulatory nightmare.

The first could mean many things - people, traffic, politics, a fart smell hovering over the city. The latter is specific to the political climate on Capitol Hill.

But here’s the real point: I’d argue that these countries being geopolitical shitholes - and, in this case, I was speaking of ISIS controlled areas - creates a kind of moral imperative to at least examine what America can do for the oppressed persons there; in other words, refugees.

Trump’s beef - presuming the recollection and Post story is accurate - appears to be that we wouldn’t want anyone from those places because they’re shitholes.

The context matters. And context is built up over time, through patterns of behavior. At this point, Trump has built up so much antipathy on matters of race that his words are going to be read uncharitably. He’s earned that.

It’s not just Trump saying “shitholes.” It’s the travel ban. It’s “very fine people.” It’s the birther stuff. It’s the NFL. It’s all of it combined.

At some point, you are your body of work.

HanSenSE, Deskgrunt50 and TowelWaver like this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, did Durbin say anything in the moment?

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

3830C9EC-2CF5-4515-B126-DEB95E7C1AB1.jpeg
    Which one are you? Which shithole country did you come from that actually did the work to build the bombs that that turned Hiroshima and Nagasaki into deserved glowing death stick?
    Coming from a place means shit. Just because your family cleaned out Oppenheimer’s privy doesnt mean they did anything but shit.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Now you did it, here comes another oopian post with words that decrease in size. LOL

JC likes this.
  6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Why would you assume my comments were racist? I was talking about the parts of Pennsylvania filled with nothing but white people.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Maybe the President was referring to the parts of Haiti filled with nothing but white people.

8. YankeeFan

Now do your Baltimore comment.

9. YankeeFan

The very reason why Haitians, in the U.S., have been able to remain here under Temporary Protected Status, since the 2010 earthquake, is because the country is a mess.

It's why Durbin wants to give them visas.

10. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

"Did she fight him off? Why didn't she just leave?"

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

WhatAbouting random message board posters to cover for Trump?

[​IMG]

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Baltimore is a shithole for a million reasons. It has nothing to do with the race of the people there.

melock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.