1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"What about...?"

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I’m not as clued in to the details here ... BUT, had Durbin used that exact word in that manner, and had Trump merely echoed or otherwise agreed with him, then ... yes, people would still be upset. At Trump. Because fuck Trump.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Look, again, I think you can disagree with Trump's policies, his goals, and certainly his language.

But, it's a part of his complete view of immigration. He doesn't want to keep bringing people here who don't have the job or language skills to succeed, and/or whose cultural differences will result in them not assimilating. And, he doesn't want to grant citizenship on people who will be a burden on the system.

So, he wants a merit based system.

Now, I think it's a good rebuttal to say -- and I think it was a Frank Luntz tweet that someone posted here -- that African immigrants largely have college degrees, and do well here.

Make that case, and let's grant visas to Haitians, Africans, and Norwegians who merit it, and who will be able to thrive here.

4. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I was watching some of the news networks last night and it was amazing watching the Trump surrogates ignore the clear racist comments of the President. They continued to talk about chain migration etc and refused to comment on the despicable words of Trump. I now get to read Yank deflect and I am more sure than ever that these people, Yank included, are racist pieces of shit. They are the ones that crawl out of shitholes on a daily basis and protect their leader. We can only hope that at some point in the near future these scumbags crawl back into their shitholes and leave the rest of us alone.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Wilson ordering the Marines to empty the country's banks of gold in 1914 sure didn't help.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Oh, good God.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

I'm looking for some consistency.

If it's obviously racist for Trump to call Haiti a shithole, them why isn't it racist to call Memphis, Tunica, Baltimore, or the areas around the Oakland County Coliseum shitholes?

If you're not consistent, then I have a hard time believing you're really outraged by Trump calling Haiti a shithole.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yeah, yeah, yeah ... keep telling yourself that.

9. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

At least you are consistent.

melock likes this.
  10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Gotten to the bottom of whether gerrymandering makes a difference yet?

Pete likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

But it is.

Again, argue against it if you like, but Trump has consistently argued for a merit based immigration system.

We allow refugees who face violence based on their religion, or ethnicity, or other factors. We don't offer people permanent legal status simply because their country is an economic basket case. Haitians here, have lived under "temporary" protected status since 2010. At some point, I think we have to agree that Haiti is what it is. It's not dealing with the immediate after effects of an earthquake, and Haitians living here, who haven't adjusted their status in the 8 or more years they've been here, need to return.

12. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Pretty pathetic. I don't know how they can get away with such a personal insult all the time. It gets really fing old and makes them look like "africa".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.