1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Forget it, poin, he's rolling. He tried to get me for calling Montana a shithole. It might be the whitest state in the union.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is it racist to make citizens ensure that the family members they are sponsoring for citizenship not be a "public charge"?

If you (a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident) are petitioning for an immigrating husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister to receive a U.S. green card, an important part of your role is ensuring that the immigrant will not be found inadmissible as a likely "public charge." Put another way, you'll need to show the U.S. government that your relative will not receive welfare or other need-based public assistance. One important and required way of doing this is to promise that you will support the immigrant at a level above the U.S. Poverty Guidelines, and will reimburse the government for any assistance the immigrant claims for a period of time. Learn more about your obligations here.

The U.S. Sponsor's Financial Responsibilities

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Agreed.

That goes both ways, too. I've written before: Most of America didn't sign off on our do-nothing immigration policies, or sign off on relocating refugees to cities where they were bound to have a damn hard time fitting in. I've had those conversations with family. "Why are these (fill in the refugee population) here?" Americans don't often know. (And it's not just white Americans, either.)

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, I’ll ask: do you think calling overwhelmingly black nations “shitholes” is racist?

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

For the life of me I don't know why so many keep taking the bait with certain people.

Double Down and HanSenSE like this.
  6. YankeeFan

OK. So, we've established that you can call a place a shithole, and for there to not be any racial implication.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  7. typefitter

It's hard, I know. I get into it with him, too, because he's so fucking wrong and so fucking stupid. Sometimes I do it out of boredom. Sometimes I'm genuinely pissed off at something he says. Sometimes I just need a confidence boost and he's fun to bat around for a bit. Sometimes I realize how boring this thread would be without him, because I'm not sure there's another Trump supporter on the board (because this board is comprised mostly of smart people). I really go day-to-day with it.

8. typefitter

I can, yes. Trump can't, because he's racist. You are, too.

BadgerBeer likes this.
  9. YankeeFan

The discussion was about specific nations, like Haiti, that had been operating under temporary protected status -- specifically because they are fucked up, not because they are overwhelmingly black.

I think he should be smarter, and more diplomatic to call the countries shitholes. I don't think it's clear evidence of racism to declare Haiti to be a shithole.

And, I don't think it's racist to seek a merit based system, as opposed to granting visas to folks, simply because they've been living here under temporary protected status.

10. YankeeFan

OMG! The US Ambassador to Panama has resigned in protest of the President's remarks!

The ambassador appointed by President Obama.

11. typefitter

I'm sure he'll be replaced by a Trump appointee who believes that someone from Panama is called a Panamaniac.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any question Trump is a racist. It was well established before this latest incident.

#JemeleWasRight

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.