1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It’s a bad precedent. I wouldn’t elect Donald Trump to pour my morning orange juice, but the idea of strong-arming an elected President to resign from office due to general incompetence and poor public presentation, rather than something like Watergate, is a nuclear option that probably should never be used. I take no pride that my country elected Donald Trump as its leader. I’m humiliated. But I also think that a nation of laws need live with its mistakes and correct them the right way, through the electoral process, not on the whims of Congress.

BTExpress, cranberry and lakefront like this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just to put this out there, but in the first 13 days of this year, Trump has:

A. Threatened nuclear war by saying he had a bigger button and it worked.

2. Said he is a real stable genius.

III. Called other countries "shitholes."

D. Had it revealed that he paid off six figures to another woman who wasn't his wife.

All this in the first 13 days. Did I miss anything?

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Impeachment or the resignation of the President to avoid a guilty verdict in an impeachment, requires 67 Senate votes out of 100. With the current Senate split of 51 Rs and 49 Ds, it'd have to be more than a whim. Much more. It'd have to be something so bad Trump's Republican support had collapsed. But the Constitution's grounds for impeachment are so broad, Gerald Ford was right when he said "an impeachable offense is whatever the House of Representatives says it is."

HanSenSE and lakefront like this.
  4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Dick is saying be careful what you wish for.

bigpern23 and FileNotFound like this.
  5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This is the position of the incredibly privileged, the ones who assume the negative consequences will happen to other people and not to them.

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I didn't read it that way, but my post wasn't to root for impeachment or resignation, just to say they wouldn't happen unless some action of Trump's was substantively bad enough to cause him to lose his own party's support. Obviously that hasn't happened yet and probably won't happen. But if the Republicans get shellacked in November (no idea if that'll happen), I'll bet their standards for Presidential conduct will get much stricter.

QYFW likes this.
  8. Dick Whitman

Suck my balls, Rick. My dad stocked shelves at Wal-Mart to put food on the table.

How is sunny California? How’s the job?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  9. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Unknown-3.jpeg

BadgerBeer and Slacker like this.
  10. Dick Whitman

I didn’t take the post I was responding to to be about an impeachable offense or impeachment proceedings. The proposal was that the GOP should pressure him to resign, sans impeachable offense. What you’re talking about is something different.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Cute kid. Why’s he so angry?

Is daddy off for another long weekend in Cuba?

Dick Whitman likes this.
  12. cowboy2001

cowboy2001 Member

How’s that “no pissing matches” resolution coming along?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.