1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Shortie on his high horse:

mini2.jpg

2. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

Maybe the solution is to have a thread elsewhere on the board where posters can just rip the ever-loving shit out of each other to their hearts' content...the message board equivalent of a stress ball. Even though our politics are so polarized now, I'd hate to think it's inevitable that any political discussion will always lead us back to personal animosity and subsequent time-outs.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

There is no good reason for the timeouts. We're arguing politics. Thus isn't the Tiddly Winks thread. Occasionally the herd needs to be thinned temporarily but the thread should always be open, IMO.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Maybe the solution is for TF to stop calling people names?

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Psst ... PC ... was THAT "a good one"? :D

6. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I don't want to jump in the middle of the crossfire, but I try really hard to remember that every single poster is a real person with unique problems. QYFW is absolutely correct in noting that a message board is as good a place as any to cut loose some stress. To that end, I find this particular feud to be entertaining right up until the time the thread gets locked.

As a third-party observer, it seems like a chicken-and-egg proposition to identify who is at fault when it comes to escalating the tension. A lot of times I think it does seem like typefitter is being a bully. But Dick certainly doesn't back down, so in a way I can kind of understand the urge to goad him to give the appearance of taking the higher ground.

In my opinion, Dick is the board's most interesting poster. Seems like people find him exhaustingly pedantic, but I think if someone with no knowledge of this board read it over he would stand out as the most fair and objective. But because he can and will argue a specific point that might not conform to expectations of (what I think are) his overarching political beliefs, he's considered more of a political Uncle Tom than an original thinker.

In a weird way it comes down to the pitfalls of toxic partisanship. The board seems to have collectively decided everything YankeeFan posts is automatically evil and wrong. So if Dick cedes a point to him or has his back, he's a troll defending his buddy.

I very well could be full of shit and I don't want to speak on behalf of anyone. I'm also not trying to pick sides or talk shit about anyone. I really enjoy this community, even if I'm an observer most of the time, and I think in our real lives we're decent people just trying to do the best we can.

7. jr/shotglass

Well, if you're going to be good and sensible, we just don't know what to do with you. ;)

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

This is good.

9. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Curious, since you asked: do you think YOU are part of the problem?

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Of course.

I said it yesterday. I didn’t care how I came off as long as it also got TF to show his true colors to people here. It was a suicide mission.

@YankeeFan handles it with unbelievable grace, but he’s a good guy who doesn’t deserve to be abused by an asshole day-in, day-out. At some point, I can’t just observe anymore. It’s a curse.

11. jr/shotglass

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Do you think, in your mission to get TF to "show his true colors", that you come off looking better than he does?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.