1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you prefer to live in Vancouver, Seattle or Portland

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by LanceyHoward, Jan 11, 2018.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

St Johns......if I was 20 years younger.

Huggy likes this.
  2. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Not sure how many people realize this tbh. No doubt Montreal has the most stylish women, company I used to visit a lot on business was right on the edge of the McGill ghetto, great people watching. The Summer during festival season it is stunning.

Winnipeg has a high Ukrainian population as well as many Eastern Europeans.

Heard a theory that because so many men were killed after WW2 that those who remained married off the most physically attractive and many emigrated to Winnipeg.

I've lived in Wpg, Van and Calgary and spent considerable time in Montreal and Toronto. I would definitely say Wpg wins and it is not close.

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Well, that explains it.

And all this time I was thinking that because they were bundled up for so many months, when they removed all those layers they just "seemed" super attractive.

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

What state is that not true of? In Virginia, for example, you can go driving out of the Washington suburbs and and as you clear out of the subdivisions the pick up trucks and Confederate flags appear.

5. Earl’s Court

Earl’s Court New Member

Or New York, Boston, Philly, Detroit, or Chicago.

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Wisconsin used to be like a favorite aunt or uncle you’d visit. Not so much anymore.

My only grandparent born in this country was born in Wisconsin so I grew up going there a lot. Still have many relations there I go see. Soft spot in my heart for the place. Hey, my dad is a Packer fan!

But it’s changed.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Too many Chicagoans moved there ... :)

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Slightly related subject: Add "Calgarians" to the list of cool terms for local residents. Very close to "mad Hungarians"!

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Never been there but never talked to anyone who didn't have an unbelievable time in that town.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It is probably the Canadian city that:

1) gives you the best chance of a stranger buying you a drink.

2) gives you the best chance of getting your ass beat.

3) gives you the best chance that 1) and 2) are courtesy of the same person.

Huggy likes this.
  11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Yeah, goddammit. Mr. French vacations up there.

12. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

When you talk about Vancouver in the Northwest, you have to specify if you mean the one in Washington or B.C.
    I love to visit Portland. My aunt and uncle have had the same house since the late 1960s, great view of Mt. Hood. Both cousins have lived in Portland their whole lives. All kinds of things to do. Powell's and OMSI are two of our favorite places, please we enjoy IKEA. But it's too big for us.
    Seattle has all kinds of stuff as well, but the traffic is as bad as the reputation suggests. Portland traffic is bad, but I'd say Seattle is worse.
    My dad and my brother live in Vancouver, Wash. Not a bad city, but a bit bland. Fort Vancouver is cool, though. I believe my dad got his 4 BR house for about $325K a few years ago.
    We're in the Eugene area and it's pretty nice. Plenty to do, plus two hours away from the coast, Portland, or Bend, depending on which direction you want to go. Lincoln City is our favorite place on the coast.

Draft saved Draft deleted