1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

McConnell is explicitly trying to force the Dems to choose between "saving" the CHIP kids or the Dreamers, essentially holding these two worthy groups hostage. His plan is BUILT on screwing one of the groups, then trying to spin it as the Dems' fault. Just as you are doing.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="#Senate hashtag on Twitter">#Senate</a> Democrats have a choice to make. This should be a no-brainer... <a href="Leader McConnell on Twitter">pic.twitter.com/zdUFXxclZ9</a></p>&mdash; Leader McConnell (@SenateMajLdr) <a href="">January 19, 2018</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

[EDIT: Apologies that I don't yet know how to embed Tweets. Never done it here before.]

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Gotta have 60 ... Democrats have enough to prevent cloture. Can’t use reconciliation.

Pete likes this.
  3. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Don't they need 60 in this case? That's my understanding. (Of course I already screwed up both defining the Dreamers and embedding a Tweet, so I'm going to try to step away from the keyboard.)

doctorquant likes this.
  4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Yep, they need 60. Point is they couldn't even pass it along party lines. So it makes the finger pointing even more ridiculous.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Apparently running the government is harder than just tweeting dumb stuff and destroying things.

Keeping the lights on is job No. 1 and republicans are not capable of doing it.

7. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

You didn't just install a new disposal did you? From experience there is a cap on the disposal and if it is not removed it won't drain. I am also an expert at loading the dishwasher.

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Who knew governing could be so hard? I mean, just because you have majorities in both houses and hold the White House doesn't mean that you can actually get anything done, right?

10. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

What I love from Trump thus far:

1. Tax relief bill. It's already helping the economy, based on expected savings. It's going to give people more discretionary income.
    2. The cutting of regulations has benefited the economy. It's led to increased business which has led to the lowest unemployment rate in years, especially for blacks and Hispanics.
    3. Consumer confidence. The confidence the consumer has is responsible for the increased investment, and has led to the record stock market numbers.
    4. Ending DACA as an Executive Order. For one, we need to fix our immigration problem. We are a nation of laws, and our laws must be followed. Second, it's unconstitutional, and should be passed by Congress, not by the POTUS.
    5. Remember we all talked about ISIS? They were unstoppable and would take over Europe? They're gone. They control no cities anymore. And now NK is asking for peace talks with SK. He's done a great job as commander in chief.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You know damn well it is; never before has the Government shut down when one party had complete control of all three branches.
    It's a shame America's having to yet again pay the price of Republican incompetence.

lakefront likes this.
  12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You’re kind of glossing over that 60-vote hurdle thing ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.