1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think you mean when he signed the legislation ...

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Yet both sides say it could be voted on as a stand-alone thing. I don't get this. Why can it be separated? There are among several parliamentary or other procedural things that seem odd.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Because politics.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I can't even find the executive order. It's like it doesn't exist.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Or at any other time. Republicans never should have let it expire. Neat new talking point though.

The GOP is not representing the will of the people.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Lost in all of this is the GOP had four no votes (Lee, Paul, Flake and Graham) on the bill in addition to the McCain NV and McConnell voting no for procedural purposes (so he can bring it back).
    I think the Dems would be fine on some resolution on DACA one way or another - but they want the GOP to have to vote on it. It is a vote the GOP does not want to make before the primaries.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I don't understand any of this. Not because of my usual idiocies. It all just seems so cynical and awful.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Meanwhile, Canada does not seem excited about welcoming dreamers or soon to be deported Haitians:

But Canadian officials are warning that even liberal Canada has its limits amid concerns, fairly or not, that illegal migration is stretching the immigration system to a breaking point and risks stoking a potential backlash.

Canada’s minister of immigration, Ahmed Hussen, himself a former refugeewho moved to the country from Somalia when he was 16, said Canada was proud to be a welcoming country but could not welcome everyone. Only about 8 percent of Haitian migrants had received asylum here since the summer, he said, while there is a backlog of about 40,700 cases, according to Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Board.

“We don’t want people to illegally enter our border, and doing so is not a free ticket to Canada,” Mr. Hussen said in an interview. “We are saying, ‘You will be apprehended, screened, detained, fingerprinted, and if you can’t establish a genuine claim, you will be denied refugee protection and removed.’ ”

Canadian immigration officials are once again bracing for a possible influxof migrants heading north. On Monday, the Trump administration announced that it would not be renewing temporary protected status for nearly 200,000 Salvadorans, a humanitarian measure that had allowed them to live and work legally in the United States.

On Thursday at a White House meeting, President Trump demanded to know why he should accept immigrants from Haiti and some countries in Africa, which he described in vulgar and disparaging terms. His remarks possibly further unsettled others in the United States already anxious about their precarious status.

In what appeared to be an effort to dispel false hope among would-be immigrants and help stem an influx, Pablo Rodriguez, a Liberal member of Parliament who was born in Argentina, will be traveling to Los Angeles next week to meet with members of the Hispanic community there to explain the limits of Canadian asylum policy.

On an earlier trip there, he sought to counter false media reports in the Latin American press that he said were suggesting that migrants could travel to Canada, “walk in and stay forever.”

Earlier this summer, the government also sent Emmanuel Dubourg, a Liberal Haitian-Canadian member of Parliament from Montreal, to Miami’s “Little Haiti” to spread the word that getting asylum in Canada was difficult. “People come here and realize that this is not the Promised Land and that they could be deported back to Haiti,” he said in an interview.

Migrants Fleeing to Canada Learn Even a Liberal Nation Has Limits

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t the shutdown have been avoided if the Rs who broke ranks hadn’t?

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The simple explanation is correct. It’s cynical and awful.

The republicans are going to lose this fight. It just depends on how much damage they want to inflict on themselves and others in the process.

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with what I wrote and nothing to do with the current American situation.

BadgerBeer likes this.
  12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.