1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Sorry, you lost me at "Leader McConnell."

melock and jr/shotglass like this.
  2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

You know what? I didn't miss this thread, it turns out. It's pure poison. Good luck with it, friends.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure DACA gets done. Without real changes to immigration -- the lottery, chain migration, the wall -- I don't see Trump going along with it. And, Dems not only don't want those changes, they want more illegals protected than just the dreamers.

Not sure how the current shutdown gets resolved. Both sides are in favor of the CR, but Dems won't vote for it without tying it to DACA.

Seems like a pretty big impasse.

We'll see who feels more pressure to cave. Trump isn't going to be an asshole, and close down open air monuments on the Mall, like the WWII Memorial.

The basic needs of government will continue to function. As it drags on, I'd expect Dems, whose constituents rely on the less basic services of government to get anxious.

What I'd also like to see, to make this have some meaning, is a declaration that the folks who are furloughed during this shutdown, are not going to get back pay, for their time off, when this is resolved.

4. YankeeFan

Прощай.

SnarkShark likes this.
  5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Oh my. Nobody will die because it will get done. It’s just a matter of how much damage the republicans want to do to themselves.

6. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Pro tip: The guy who says "You have a choice to make – you can only help one of these vulnerable groups, and the other gets screwed, unless you do exactly as we say" is the hostage-taker.

He even literally says "Democrats have a choice to make." I'd "LOL" if it wasn't a) cruel b) being lapped up by you, Q, and tens of millions of Americans.

7. YankeeFan

Trump: Unwilling to allow anyone who just happens to be here become a citizen.

Typefitter: That's racist, cynical and awful.

Canada: Also unwilling to allow anyone who just happens to be here become a citizen.

YankeeFan: What's up with that? Is it also racist, cynical and awful?

Typefitter: If you need me, I'll be on the footy thread.

8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It’ll get done because it has huge public and bipartisan support. Either now or it’ll be tied up in court till the democrats control Congress again next year.

In other shutdowns, government employees have gotten their backpay. But nothing is normal anymore so we’ll see on that one.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

CHIP could have been passed at any time for months, on one bipartisan vote. The R's chose too hold it back in order to use it to extort D votes for a bill that they knew was to extreme to pass with sixty votes. The Dems said "No, thanks", and left them holding the bag.

The R's used the health care of nine million children as a bargaining chip, and only the credulous are going to buy that it was the Dems' fault.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Interesting to see YF expose the white nativist base of GOP immigration policy through use of its buzzwords.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

If only we had a great negotiator to help solve this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.