1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Look at 3OF's other reply. He's cleaning up September through January dog shit. So that times the number of dogs, type of dog food, and the size of the dogs. There's almost an algebra equation in here somewhere. But we're leaving out some variables, like dog shit rate of decay.

2. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

I thought you were just going to snark out of engaging on this point, which would have been fair enough. But sure, I'll play.

How do you know the woman holding that sign hasn't volunteered her time to political causes? That she hasn't registered voters? Knocked on doors? Manned (or womanned) a phone bank? Donated money? You don't know, of course, but your line targeted her specifically.

I also think it's awfully easy for you to say, from the distance of 50+ years, "Hey, the March of Washington was a REAL march, not like this silly march by silly women wearing juvenile hats." Did you have anything to do with the March on Washington? Were you supporting it in real time? Or was it before you were born, or were only a child?

Personally, I doubt that in 1963, too many Southern white males who fall where you appear to on the political spectrum (would "center-right" be fair?) were actively supporting the March of Washington, never mind waxing rhapsodic about how "We, the entire country, were lifted to a higher place as a result." In fact, history shows that on balance, white Southern males were mostly opposed to the civil rights movement. Some, violently so. Some just stayed out of the fray.

But you've made clear your views on the current #Resistance. You're dismissive, and proudly so. It's hard to interpret that as being something other than at least implicit support for the current President, no matter how much you protest that you don't.

I believe this is a moment to take sides. I hope I'm being overly alarmist. I am not alarmist by nature. But I am currently alarmed by Trump and the damage he is doing.

And if it is indeed a time to take sides, I know which side I can mark you down for.

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Back in 2010 we had (many) non-college-educated white folks (mostly) wearing juvenile tricorne hats and posing for photos between sips of Metamucil because they didn’t like the guy in the WH. On the way home they’d stop for some chicken and dumplings at Cracker Barrel before scanning Fox News for the most regressive take. Color me unimpressed.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Another magnificent diversion on this thread. They really are the best part.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Baron/Vombatus, I have two Weimaraners. Big dogs, produce yuge quantities of waste.
    I went out there with my youngest to play in the snow last week and realized it was not negotiable.

[​IMG]

Baron Scicluna and Vombatus like this.
  7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don’t even know it’s a woman (it’s not clear to me who’s holding that sign) ... how would I know these other things?
    You can mark me down for whatever side you want. You’ll be wrong either way.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  8. doctorquant

Tell us some more about immigration policy nomenclature.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Were you also unimpressed by your daughter's attendance?

10. doctorquant

Any lack of consistency in that regard can be chalked up to Father’s Privilege.

TowelWaver likes this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Smile. I do understand that... and I suspect you understand why I had to poke at that lack of consistency.

TowelWaver likes this.
  12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Slacker,
    I have noted heavy use of this lately by Huckleberry. Good point.
    It is used to confer a sort of unearned superiority, a perfect rhetorical gadget for this administration.

Slacker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.