1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Conference Championship Sunday: Blake Bortles' Date With Destiny

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Tom Brady meets up with Blake Bortles in the bowels of Gillette Stadium following the game:

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I dunno. I think you'd see a dramatic drop in successful long plays. You feel like you're going to give up a 50-yarder? Do whatever you can to prevent it, take the 15, onward.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So now we'll get two weeks of Gronk's concussion, Brady's hand and whether Brady, Belichick and Kraft swap Christmas presents.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a playoff game 15 years ago where the Vikings were down super late and punted -- shocked the shit out of me -- but they somehow got it back and then went down and scored to advance?

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If Jags don’t convert here, do they punt? Three timeouts left and they
    It’s a 15-yard penalty in college and it doesn’t have any kind of negative effect.

Mike Pereira is the leading proponent of making PI a 15-yard max.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Peter King just tweeted out his cell phone instead of in a DM to someone on the Pats to try and get a hold of Gilmore

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don’t think it was crazy at all and it might have been preferable.

You have to stop them without a first down in either case. If they start at the 10 after a punt, you get the ball back around midfield with 1:15 left. As things played out, the Jags would have instead been starting around their 20 with 1:15 left if Lewis hadn’t gotten the first down.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. typefitter

The Patriots are the Politics Thread of the NFL: divisive, depressing, quarterbacked by a charlatan, and unstoppable.

9. typefitter

I could very well be wrong. I just know if I were getting beat on a big play, I'd just punch the guy in the dick and take my 15.

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

If you were getting beat on a big play, you'd be too far away for that punch to land.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I'm genuinely surprised that the spot rule has survived for so many years after the college rule became less punitive. I'd vote for a rule that limits PI to 25 yards instead of the 15 in the college game.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but a first down by New England and the game is over either way, and you know there's a 95 percent chance they're going to run the ball. You go for it, you at least give yourself an extra chance. Worry about field position later.
    If it was three or four minutes left, maybe even 2:40ish, I might agree. Then you can use your timeouts and perhaps force them into a passing situation, and maybe get the ball back with plenty of time left. On the negative side of the two minute warning it shouldn't even be a consideration.

Draft saved Draft deleted