1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Nice payday for Ryan.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

So? Does Tom Cotton have the power to deport Dreamers? Does he want to deport the Dreamers?

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What was stupid about it?

Cotton has morphed into a hard-liner on this. I consider those Dreamers to be American kids. He and other hard-liners may make moves that result in kids being sent "home" to nations they have never, ever stepped foot in.

I don't think he's a racist as much as an opportunist and water carrier for a few billionaires who sees a path to the Oval Office.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I was told — by no less an authority than @RickStain — that elections are all about turning out your voters, not convincing people to change their minds.

Turning off your base, isn’t a good way to drive people to the polls.

Nominating an old white person in 2020 probably won’t help either.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Nobody will go on the record as *wanting* to deport dreamers. They'll keep their hands clean with performative stances about how important it is to respect the rule of law and have immigration reform. Then ICE will mysteriously be given the power to deport them and everybody gosh darn wishes we didn't have to do it, but rules are rules, ya know?

That way they get to tell themselves they're Not Racist but all the super racist things they want to happen still happen.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I apologize. It wasn't stupid. I just couldn't think of any other word that'd work, and I grow weary of the swallows-to-Capistrano "You must be a racist!" bit from the enlightened set.

The idea that the Dreamers' plight is the result of racism is just stupid. So too is the idea that the issues raised by today's hard-liners of consequence (e.g., Cotton) must spring only from a fount of racism. These issues -- covering the diversity lottery, family reunification, skills-/merit- based prioritization -- have been kicked around, and around, and around, for decades, with consensus obtaining independent of race or ideology. The Dreamers were put in a bad way because this consensus was ignored.

I am probably the most "Open Borders" guy around here. But those who assert or imply that the Dreamers' plight obtains because white folks don't like 'em, they're full of shit, and I'm gonna call 'em on it. If that's another "You're a racist!" arrow in their quiver, fuck 'em ... it'd be something else soon enough.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

When did Cotton become a racist?

doctorquant likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't think Cotton's stance on this issue is driven by anything other than opportunism.

9. RickStain

The fact that DQ thinks these issues are devoid of racism is adorable.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

He's the most "Open Borders" guy among all his hick racist Texas friends!!

11. RickStain

The entire reason immigration “reform” is being made a major issue at all is old white racists belief that everything is going to hell because there are too many brown people around. It’s not a real pressing problem on a national scale.

12. YankeeFan

He actually believes they’re an economic benefit to the nation, and makes a better argument for it than the Democratic Party leadership.

But, you should definitely dismiss him as a hick from Texas.

(You’d also probably be shocked to learn that the work environment he chose for himself is more diverse than yours or @RickStain’s. Though the makeup of Rick’s soccer class might be similar.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.