1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Dammit, this was the quote I wanted to use talking about me working in my non-diverse, west LA investment environment.

‘I AM OUT HERE FOR (my family). YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT IT’S LIKE TO BE ME OUT HERE FOR YOU. IT IS AN UP-AT-DAWN, PRIDE-SWALLOWING SIEGE THAT I WILL NEVER FULLY TELL YOU ABOUT.’

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Yes, I think Cotton wants to deport the Dreamers. If there was a clean DACA vote, I believe he would vote against it. But I don't believe there will be a clean DACA vote. And neither does he, I bet, so he can pretend he's not anti-Dreamers because he won't have to make an explicit public declaration.

Instead, he will do exactly what he's doing, which is refuse to do DACA unless it's part of a bill that, among other hard-right wish list items, dramatically cuts legal immigration and further re-calibrates it toward white-majority countries, ideally European, and away from non-white countries. Whether that's a racist approach or not, I'll let others debate. But that's exactly what he was explicitly fighting for when Kelly and Miller called him to the WH to submarine the Graham-Durbin Gang of Six agreement.

He'll fight to stick so many poison pills in any "bipartisan proposal" that he knows it won't be acceptable to Dems, and then he can say, "I guess you don't care about DACA." From his perspective, either Dreamers get deported, or he uses them as leverage to decrease the browning of America by drastically altering our legal immigration policy – not illegal, but legal. So for him, win-win.

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I think that's the GOP gameplan.

4. poindexter

When I first registered to vote at 18, I registered as a Republican. The party seemed to be comprised of many people like these two. (I know we've all seen this clip before).

Although you didn't call me a Democrat, just liberal, I've never registered as a dem in my life.

I feel the Republican party left me. not vice-versa.

BadgerBeer and Jake_Taylor like this.
  5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Inky, duly noted.
    Strange bedfellows, the trust-fund baby draft dodger and the (by all accounts) self-made combat veteran.

6. poindexter

Second ugly thing I've said on the board today. I apologize for the second time.

7. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

If we're confessing, I also first registered as a Republican at 18.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

poindexter, Donald was a Democrat in 1980. I suppose he feels the party left him as well.
    We were founded by radicals.
    There is nothing historically 'conservative' in the American adventure.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Cotton sees an opportunity for advancement. He's going to use anything he can to boost his own White House run. And, at 40, it's one that might not happen for 20 years. He can spend two decades building a war chest and collecting chits from big money donors. Basically, if he can get his face on the Sunday morning shows, then he'll get involved. But when it comes to doing things like helping secure grants to build a US Marshall's Museum in Arkansas or protecting the Buffalo National River from a gigantic hog farm or other things his constituents want he goes silent.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I know this about you. And, I was thinking more of Rick and Gee when I wrote, “you may be liberal.”

Public pensions, and small government salaries and spending are issues for you. I’ve never thought you were a Democrat.

I’m just unsure why Trump has left you with such a bad case of TDS.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I have no issue with you, btw.

I don’t mind if you don’t like me. I’ll still enjoy the majority of your posts.

12. poindexter

The "go fuck yourself"s and especially the "go fuck yourself royally" still stands however :D

YankeeFan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.