1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don’t know who this guy is, but his analysis is spot on:

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That guy is a racist pig who knows zero about politics. Posting him only shows you don't give the slightest damn about innocent people who'll be victims of DACA because either a) you're a racist pig yourself or the more charitable b) you're not racist, but the suffering of the fantasy liberals in your head means more to you than simple humanity. Either way, you're a severely damaged and defective person.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I dunno, Gee, from that fella's profile pic, his people were here way before yours.

QYFW likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

I have no idea if he’s a racist. I don’t know who he is. I just saw his tweet because someone retweeted him.

But, objecrively, taking the emotion of the issue out of it, his analysis is correct.

Dems thought this issue would be a big winner for them. They thought Trump would get the blame for the shutdown, and they would look good for fighting for the Dreamers.

But, the polls on the issue all framed the question in a way that anyone with a soul would give an answe that was supportive of allowing the Dreamers to stay in the country.

That’s not the same as it being a top priority for voters, and worth shutting down the government over.

Trump won this round. There’s no denying this.

Maybe that changes in three weeks, but today, Trump won.

5. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Certainly not the deal I would want. But it's fair to say, at best, it's incomplete right now.

Don't trust Mitch McConnell at all. So we'll see what the next 17 days provide. DACA is widely popular and there should be a way to get it done.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I agree that the Hispanic vote is important but they need to be educated on the reality of the situation, saving 800k kids, while an honorable position, will alienate the majority of the voters if that's the "hill you die on." Cannot let that be the defining issue. Look, let's distill this down to why this is a bad message "we shutdown the government and should vote for you solely because you want to protect people who were never legally in our country?" That's a loser. We should be able to do better if we want to change our country.

7. YankeeFan

Here’s the WaPo, Time, Daily Beast, and AP on today’s news.

Is there any argument to be made that the democrats achieved anything with the shutdown?

And, having already lost, and capitulated on the issue, they can’t use is to bluff the next time, so how do they find a way to turn it into a winner?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

No Trump didn't win.

Did you say Obama "won" when the prior shutdown was lifted?

Hey, our country lost, that's what's important. Until we start working towards avoiding this, we lose.

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Such a cruel tale of irony: He came to America to escape the fascists, and the fascists got him here ...

[​IMG]

A Michigan doctor who calls America home could be deported thanks to two misdemeanors from when he was 17.

In 1979, Lukasz Niec, 43, was brought to the United States from Poland by his parents to escape an increasingly authoritarian government but now sits in a Calhoun County jail cell after three ICE officers came to his home last Tuesday and put him in handcuffs.

Polish doctor living in U.S. since age 5 faces deportation

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

McConnel promised them a Senate vote, right. But there’s no commitment that the House votes on what they might pass, nor certainly that the President would sign it.

Big whoop.

On a “clean” DACA bill, a bunch of republicans will vote for it. Won’t be hard. Won’t make them look bad.

Because, absent anything else, they support legalizing the Dreamers and giving them a path to citizenship. But, legislation doesn’t happen in a vacuum. Any vote that matters on the issue, will include the border enforcement and immigration reforms the republicans seek.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ are some of you ridiculously dramatic.

12. YankeeFan

LOL. I’m sure that White, or maybe in your case Yellow, “splainig” to the simple brown folks will improve the situation, and get them out to the polls in 2018 and 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.