1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Was this a state dinner, or a private dinner with Republicans to discuss policy matters? There's quite a big difference. My understanding is that the Judiciary, and in particular the Supremes, are supposed to be apolitical, rendering judgements based on the law and standing precedents, not the desires of a given political party.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    HanSenSE likes this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I recall reading some tale of Truman being invited to a Supremes dinner after they'd overturned his steel mill seizure. Apparently he was a might taciturn at first, but after a few rounds of booze he said "Well, judge, I don't care much for your law, but this bourbon is quite tasty!"

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

“Our opponents, the media and the whole world will soon see, as we begin to take further actions, that the powers of the president to protect our country are very substantial and will not be questioned.” o_O

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

White House Counsel McGahn said "don't fire Wray, because the political blowback will be murder" and Trump took the advice. PS: The President is not entitled to fire any appointee for no reason without sanction. Unjust firings fall under the impeachable offense of abuse of power. Doesn't mean he'd get impeached, but he could be.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Question, especially for legal eagle types: Could Mueller be splitting his investigations, and bringing one part of it to a close while continuing on another part or parts?

I ask because it does seem, from that WashPo linked story and other recent accounts, that he's closing in on the narrower obstruction issue. If he's already talked to Comey and now Sessions, and will soon talk to Trump, that does seem to be heading to the stretch run.

Though does that likely mean the entire Mueller investigation is also wrapping up? Or is it equally likely that, knowing how impatient everyone is for at least some resolution, that he's decided to wrap up the obstruction case as soon as reasonably possible, while continuing to work on (for instance) potential financial crimes such as money laundering, which might take a lot more work. If Mueller speaks to Trump now on the obstruction side, would he still maintain the option of taking another run at him later on any other stuff? Or would he be restricted from doing so legally? How about politically?

Just curious. I haven't seen anything that addresses my (admittedly made-up) issue.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Not to hide a crime, he's not. You know this.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It was always felt the obstruction issue would be the first to wrap up, because it's relatively cut and dried compared to the other issues Mueller is investigating. But he didn't hire money laundering prosecutors and the rest of his highly specialized staff without a reason. The brief for the special counsel's mission allows him to investigate any suspected crime related to Russian interference in the election.

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Oh, please let him do that

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He could be impeached for wearing his tie too long.

The impeachment process is a purely political process, not a criminal one.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Michigan Father Deported After Living in U.S. for 30 Years

The guy's family brought him here when he was 10. He's been trying to become a legal citizen since 2005. (A point the "He had 30 years to become a citizen" morons seem to miss).
    But I guess we're safer as a country now that he's gone.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How would firing the director of the FBI hide a crime?

It doesn’t, and didn’t, end the investigation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.