1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is Female Genital Mutilation — which is surely child abuse — accepted in parts of the world?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Perhaps he is suggesting that the United States might find some difficulty in imposing its morality on the rest of the world.

Edit: Now I see what type was talking about. Just because a prominent person in a society posts something doesn't mean his society agrees with it. Check out President Trump's public comments for a refresher on that reality.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Ascribing certain universal traits, particularly negative ones, to someone because of their ethnicity is racist, yes. It's the definition of it.

You suggesting that all or even most Pakistanis are fine with child sexual abuse is totally, totally racist.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Sounded like to me he was merely suggesting enough were for the guy to feel comfortable posting that take. “All” or even “most” seems to be a contrivance of yours (in this instance).

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

"Pakistani" is a nationality, not a race, no?

Seems the board has had this discussion before, as related to a columnist's Tweet regarding the Japanese winner of last year's Indianapolis 500.

6. YankeeFan

You’re the only one suggesting that local norms are the results of race.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

As I said in the other thread, because you were dumb enough to post the same thing twice, you wouldn't ascribe any universal trait to Norwegians or Americans or any other white country because of what one of their ranks posted on Twitter. But you will do it to Pakistanis. Because they're brown and Muslim and you're scared of them.

BadgerBeer likes this.
  9. YankeeFan

Give me an email example of a mainstream Norwegian journalist downplaying child abuse, or some other dehumanizing practice.

We’re not talking about internet randos.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

When is "Junction Boys" on again?

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Why not look closer to home, such as American (British-American?) journalist Milo Yiannopolous? Or does he count as an "internet rando" when the right wants to dismiss him, but as a real journalist when his free-speech rights were being attacked by liberals?

BadgerBeer likes this.
  12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

The eat lutefisk. LUTEFISK.
    Isn't that enough?

Machine Head, I Should Coco and HC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.