1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes. I believe he thought his audience -- which is not a mainstream audience, like the one Newsweek, regardless of where it's published -- would get a laugh out of his comments.

It turned out, he was wrong.

So, in America, even the alt-right is offended by jokes about child abuse.

2. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

If only the alt-right – or the right-right – had been as offended by his calculated courting and elevation of neo-Nazis, among other things.

3. YankeeFan

Do you disagree with my original comment? Seems like a lot of whataboutism and misdirection in response.

All I said is that you because he was willing to share this view publicly, it makes you wonder if his local readers would not be offended by the observation.

4. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

I have not waded into the Pakistani/Norwegian/whatever story that started this thread, so I can't speak knowledgeably to your original comment. Perhaps later, perhaps not. But I'd rather not get into that aspect without knowing more about it.

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Burger King's take on net neutrality:

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Perhaps type should just call you a bigot rather than a racist.

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

What do you call someone who hates another religion? Because I think even @YankeeFan would admit he hates Muslims.

8. outofplace

I'd still say that is a bigot.

I disagree with your point, though. No way YankeeFan would admit to that.

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

(Pete strides into the middle of a foodfight in a white tuxedo)

This is a post of admiration, by the way. I wish I was smart enough to take that position more often...

Neutral Corner, TowelWaver and Pete like this.
  10. YankeeFan

Hate the people who practice the religion? No. Of course not.

Thinks the religion, especially as it serves as a system of political and governing beliefs, has major problems? Of course.

As a political ideology, it’s garbage. But, because it’s beleved to be the literal word of god, reforming it is not an easy task.

So, how do you deal with it? Just accept it? Counter it? Work to defeat it, like we did with Communism and Fascism?

Or, do we just pretend it’s a religion of peace and embrace it?

SnarkShark likes this.
  11. outofplace

Attacking the faith is absolutely attacking the people who are devout followers. Claiming that a religion needs to be defeated and comparing to political ideologies is absolutely the act of a bigot.

Please note that I correctly predicted that YankeeFan lacks the honesty to admit type's point.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You seem fixated on painting @YankeeFan into the narrowest/horrible-est category possible. I don't get why he bothers you so much.

SpeedTchr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.