1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Offseason baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Braun is 34, is owed $60 million thru 2020 and has a long history of injury. Who's gonna take that contract on?

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's why I said it would make the most sense for the Brewers. :)

I'm sure it will be Santana who goes, though he has negatives as well, particularly his defensive work in the outfield.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Suddenly, Pirate groundskeepers are being paid $10 million each.

(Paid in redeemable vouchers for the ski season at Seven Springs. Offer expires December 31st, 2018.)

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

7. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

There is no way that happens.

9. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

I said the exact same thing in 1981. Smart people on one side vs. smart people on the other side with a pile of money in the middle. No way they shut down baseball.
    So I'm in St. Louis with the Dodgers. We go to the airport on a bus that had only coaches, trainers, announcers and writers. No players. We don't know if we're flying to Pittsburgh or Los Angeles. The traveling secretary is waiting for word. We end up flying to Los Angeles. And there is a two-month labor stoppage.
    That said, I agree with you.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The minimum salary for this season is $545,000. The average salary is 4 million.

No disrespect to Lorenzo Cain, but a 31-year-old outfielder who has made one All-Star team (3 years ago) and is somewhere between above average to very good getting 16 million a year for five years isn't a sign that the system is broken in a bad way for the players.

And if the players want to blame the fact that there aren't giant contracts being given out, blame your compatriots who haven't lived up to those contracts. The fear on behalf of those giving out the contracts is very real, and it should be.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When Harper comes up, he'll get a giant contract. When Machado comes up, he'll get an almost giant contract. The Yankees didn't blink at taking Stanton's contract. The desire of B and B-plus players to get A and A-plus contracts is understandable, but if they're not getting them, it's hard to blame the union.

sgreenwell and bigpern23 like this.
  12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Harper, Machado and the rest of the 2019 free agent class are killing this year's free agent crop. Nobody wants to dump silly money on these B+ guys when there's a ream of A+ talent they can dump silly money on next year.

Michael_ Gee and sgreenwell like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted