1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Why would the Republicans want to stop the Russians, especially before the midterms? The Russians helped them win the last time. It's like asking Brady Anderson to stop taking steroids in the middle of his 50-HR season.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

How did they help them win?

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

They hacked the electoral vote, duhhhhh. You're better than that!

QYFW likes this.
  6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

No voting machines were hacked or ballots changed.

The Russians implemented an effective negative advertising campaign. That the two candidates were Trump and Clinton was a perfect storm.

Anybody ever see advertising work? It can and does. Every day, all day.

Perception is reality. Sow the seeds, let them grow. Use social media in a way it never was before. Target specific segments of the population and get your message in front of them as much as possible. Saturate. Become the reality.

In the aftermath, watch the Americans turn on themselves. And keep doing it.

I’m going away for a while, be back in a bit.

Pete, cranberry and Slacker like this.
  7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I have to imagine 2016 was the first time an outside entity tried to influence a political election. I hope it's not a trend.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

I remember when direct mail advertising was huge. You had the list, that was gold.

Things have changed, become more efficient in targeting the market or segment of the population you want to reach. Social media, whatever it’s called.

Now it’s immediate. Look at the response I generated when I said I was gone. I didn’t have to wait. The urge was there and I acted right away.

9. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'd like you to take a moment and reflect upon your statement and the implications that follow.

Are you at all concerned about how effective the influence of an outside party appears to have been in our 2016 Presidential election? Are you at all concerned about the distinct possibility that the outside entity may have utilized one or more of the current administration's employees? Are you at all concerned the outside entity is going to continue to influence our electoral process in 2018 and beyond?

I know we all get caught up in our politics and defending our own interests, but it's almost unfathomable to me that we've gotten to the point that we merely brush aside the plain evidence of subversive influence of foreign interests on our electoral process with such a laissez faire attitude. A shrug and a flippant "Eh, I'm sure they've been doing it for years..." is not only mind-blowing, it's dangerous.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's amazing when you think about the red-scare in the 50s and the CIA activities. A lot of the stuff the CIA did to undermine democracies back then (Iran, Honduras, Guatamala, Vietnam) is now being done on our own turf - and people with a responsibility to protect the Constitution are taking a smoke break.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The State of the Union is now a telethon benefiting Trump.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.