1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DFM bloodletting continues

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Hey all the non newspaper people running news organizations decided preps are not worth covering. Don't get enough hits. This is despite the fact real newspaper people for years recognized the value of covering preps. Names will always make news and sell. But the non newspaper people decided their lazy lazy inefficient sales people can't sell preps and there will be declining prep coverage until there is none. Now there will have to be coverage of preps however when something happens at a game like somebody punching a referee or a parent running on the field attacking a ref or coach. Coverage of preps is over, folks. It was decided long ago the clicks aren't there. And with inefficient sales people, just forget about it.

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  3. LanceyHoward

How much differentiation is in the editorial content of each paper in SCNG. Are there enough staffers left to put out a stand alone product.

For example in Long Beach is there still a sports staff? What do they cover? The PAC 12 and pro teams must be shared beats with other SCNG papers.

4. PFM

PFM New Member

When it comes to the large pro/college beats, none. It's all shared. USC, UCLA, Rams, Chargers, Lakers, Clippers, Dodgers, Angels, Kings, Ducks, MLS/Soccer all have their respective beat writers that share among the group. Long Beach's sports guys covered preps, JuCo and Long Beach State, but there's no sportswriters at the P-T anymore. Long Beach is now covered via reporters/freelancers stretching their area across county lines or further south.

Outside of the preps coverage, they basically are a stand alone product. Pick up any edition of any of these papers and flip to sports, and aside from the little things tailored to each (preps, or maybe Angels/Ducks on the OCR/RPE cover) it's the same product put out by each separate division. Editors span multiple papers or responsibilities.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Bob Keisser, former P-T columnist, was the stringer for #1 ranked Long Beach State volleyball gamer the other night.

Songbird likes this.
  6. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Keisser was deleted a couple of layoffs ago. Tom Hoffarth, the media columnist who was the most high-profile deletion this time, did have a column over the weekend on ARod's venture into broadcasting. I haven't seen anything official, but it appears Hoffarth might continue to do the column as a freelancer.

7. LanceyHoward

In other DFM news I am visiting family iN Denver, I bought the Denver Post. Two sections and 24 (reduced size) pages. Why bother?

8. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Thanks for reading.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

matt_garth likes this.
  10. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

11. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Excellent.
    Too bad Versatile is not still around to post that is it too long and who gives a fuck.

Tweener likes this.
  12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Good stuff, thanks for sharing. I especially liked this comment:

Draft saved Draft deleted