1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Trump seems more and more like Nixon.

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

He's got a lot of Agnew in him, too. Oily and greasy and shifty as hell.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be rich if the memo thing only led to additional inquiry by Mueller? Who knew what when? Were there discussions about the potential impact of releasing the memo? Was there discussion about how it would help "undermine" the investigation? I mean, Starr was investigating a real estate deal and ended up finding a 22-year old intern who was six when the point of the initial inquiry happened.

HanSenSE likes this.
  4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Yeah but at this point, what difference does it make?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wages are going up under Trump!

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

More bad news, that will upset democrats.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There was nothing at all wrong with the story. My problem was solely the headline, which I suspect is what attracted Inky to it in the first place.

Sadly, among our staff, despite training that has told them over and over that "online heads are different than print heads; here's why!", they still have an infuriating habit of just noting out words in the online head (written by someone else) until it fits the print spec.

We could have two headlines, side-by-side, saying "Five things we learned from State U. win" and "Five things we learned from Podunk U. loss". Those are fucking click-bait online heads, dammit. PICK SOMETHING that was learned and make that your head. That's why they call it "work."

Gotta love Alaska and its hefty $0.04 increase. That's $1.60 a week for those keeping score at home.

And for some perspective: Those increases affect 4.5 million workers (out of 117 million full-time and 27 million part time). So I don't think their effect in the overall "how are wages doing?" question is very pronounced. But every little bit helps, I guess.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I was attracted to it because I'd seen it previously in the TL of a neighbor who gained citizenship after serving (and being wounded by an IED) in Iraq. He's pretty pissed about it.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think you’re overlooking how relatively few people make the minimum wage. Now before you go trotting out some “You don’t think X million is substantial?” non sequitur that is your stock-in-trade, note that I used the word “relatively”. If average wages are going up, it’s likely because labor markets are tightening — which they are — and not because of the minimum wage.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

U.S. private payrolls rise strongly, wage growth picking up

“Today’s report is quite consistent with our view of gradually firming wage growth, which we expect to reach a sustainable pace around 2.5-3.0 percent in 2018,” said Gregory Daco, chief U.S. economist at Oxford Economics in New York.

“We expect one-time bonuses and minimum wage increases to provide a tailwind to the ECI to start the year.”

cranberry likes this.
  12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'll get a raise in August.

If I'm still employed in August.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.