1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DFM bloodletting continues

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Jan 16, 2018.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Refuse to give one cent to that organization for obvious reasons. Especially on the ridiculous pricing schemes in place and alienation of subscribers, what's left of them.

I'll glance at it if I see it in a coffee shop or someplace else and usually chuckle. Finish it in five minutes. There's no steak, muchless no sizzle. Looks the same as it did 10 years ago -- stodgy, cluttered, unimaginative and boring.

Uncle Dean predicted when he buried the Rocky and danced on the grave nine years ago it was a new era. Sure has been. Its a nondescript product. It's gone to a subscription model online, which I have long advocated but in this era, it's probably a nonstarter.

Haven't even looked to see what the circulation is, not that it matters. Hell, the Denver Post isn't even based in Denver anymore.

ChrisLong likes this.
  2. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Mile, you mentioned the subscription model online, so I'm curious what you think about The Salt Lake Tribune going behind a paywall, particularly with its primary competitor giving its content for free -- at least for now.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Unless you're producing super-unique content, what's the point? People will find their news one way or the other without handing over their credit card numbers. I visit the Salt Lake Tribune website maybe once or twice a year. What are they giving me that is super-unique that I can't find elsewhere? Same with the Post. They're not giving me anything unique that I can't find elsewhere -- and for free. It's just the nature of the beast. (Noted: I have a free AP subscription and have control what I put up on my station's website so I'm in tune with what's going on in the world without the need for a subscription.)

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

5. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Particularly risky in a two-paper town with the competition offering everything for free. We'll see how it goes.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That is especially brutal for the Richmond area - The Tribune and CoCo Times used to overlap in that area pre-merger, Richmond alone has a population of 100,000. Figure surrounding area adds another 100,000. No lie.

Even when they won the Pulitzer, it was kind of sad just seeing three employees checking the wire story - the copy desk is 30 miles away, the corporate suites are 40 miles away.

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Great column. It just amazes me the suits see no value in these veterans. It's a crying shame the journalism profession got stampeded by clueless suits/consultants/businesspeople like the ones at Gatehouse. The writer of this piece has done so much compared to those suits who resemble the Bobs in Office Space.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

They see value. They don't see the costs worthy of the revenue. The sad thing is, people really do develop a relationship with a newspaper. The writers ARE the paper, the identity (mostly the columnists, but still). And papers are going out of their way to damage that relationship by saying goodbye to the best ambassadors they have, the people who "make" the paper the paper long-time readers know. I'd be curious to see how long the average subscriber has subscribed to most papers. It might make economic sense to replace someone making more with someone making less, but to the readers it's like coming home at the end of the day and finding a stranger in your house instead of your spouse of 30 years.
    I haven't felt the same way about baseball since the strike. When I realized that life would go on without a World Series it seemed a lot less important to follow.

I Should Coco and Tweener like this.
  9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just found this on Twitter. Geez.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

"We can’t count on the corporate ownership model to take care of our kids and our athletes."

Look, it might be sad that local kids won't get written about in the paper, but let's not pretend they were curing cancer.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Curing cancer" sets the bar pretty high.

How about "helping cure cancer" by writing about programs like this? Touchdowns Against Cancer – High School football teams united to defeat childhood cancer

Or writing about young local athletes whose newspaper clippings help raise their profile and get them recruited by great schools and win Rhodes scholarships and get medical degrees and become doctors, like Myron Rolle?

Indirect, sure, but still.

Nothing is "curing cancer" except curing cancer.

Tweener and HanSenSE like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted