1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

"House Speaker Paul Ryan collected nearly $500,000 in campaign contributions from Charles Koch and his wife after helping usher through a massive tax reform law. According to a recent campaign finance report filed Thursday, Koch and his wife Elizabeth each donated $247,7000 to Ryan’s joint fundraising committee… The Republican tax overhaul plan passed in December benefited Koch Industries, as it cut the corporate tax rate from 35 percent to 21 percent, among other cuts. The legislation then got a boost from the Kochs' multimillion-dollar public relations campaign to highlight its benefits. And 13 days after it passed, Charles and Elizabeth Koch made the near $500,000 donation to Team Ryan, which raises money for the congressman, the National Republican Congressional Committee and a political action committee run by Ryan. On the same day, Charles and Elizabeth Koch also each donated $237,000 to the NRCC."

Koch Bros Give Paul Ryan $500,000

I suppose that next you'll wail about how unfair I'm being - "why, it's not like Ryan got to put that money in his pocket, it was a campaign donation!". Gee, I wonder how much his PAC pays for fancy lodging and fine dining? If he decides that he's had enough fun in Congress and is ready to cash in on K Street, or he just decides it's a good time to get the hell out as so many of his colleagues have decided, where does that PAC money go, YF?

Take It With You: Politicians' Campaign Cash

The Koch Brothers got a $1.3 billion tax cut. What percentage of that was the bone they threw at Ryan?

BadgerBeer and cranberry like this.
  2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I love this line of argument. Telling regular folks they're getting fucked over is insulting regular folks. And the drunk thing again. Try harder. You often do and don't do too badly.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

We have a progressive system of income taxation. Given that, it’s axiomatic that the people at the upper end of the income distribution are going to “get”* the most when taxes are cut. Complaining about that strikes me as silly.

*I hate that word in this context, but I’ll use it merely to be consistent with your usage.

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

5. Neutral Corner

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The pathetic thing is that Ryan wants people to believe that paltry sum is not just adequate but somehow something to celebrate.

The sad thing is that so many people don’t consider themselves worthy of far better.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I apologize if I’ve offended you in the past with this. You do tend to be at your saltiest after Happy Hour, but my pointing that out was never intended as anything other than lighthearted jest. My saltier takes would likely come at the same time and for the same reason, but I don’t tend to be in the posting mood then.

YankeeFan and JC like this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

I am never offended by anything you say Doc. Ever. We're just barbering.

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Warren Bufffet got even more. I'm sure he'll be generous with it.

10. Neutral Corner

Want to bet that's somewhere in a FISA warrant?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

That's offset by all the people who have more and don't deserve it.

12. Michael_ Gee

Gosh, I can't imagine why US intelligence would think that was worthy of attention. Carter Page is the most amazing person in American political life in my lifetime.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.