1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

When I was talking about percentage, I meant the last column of that graf you posted (I think). That reads to me like someone in the highest bracket has received a higher percentage break than someone in the lowest bracket. That seems wrong to me.

Yes, of course, when it comes to absolute savings, the more you pay, the more you'll save. But it seems to me that everyone should receive the same break, proportionally speaking, if not a greater break for the poorest (you know, to help them be less poor).

I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself right.

Say the lowest bracket pays $500 a year in tax, and the highest $50,000. (I'm just picking numbers out of the sky.) If they both receive a 10 percent reduction, they go down to $450 and $45,000. In absolute terms, the rich person is saving much more. But in percentage terms, it's equal.

I don't think, reading your chart, that the percentage terms are equal. That's what I'm trying to say.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

They’re not equal. The lowest bracket folks tend toward the highest reductions. The last two columns have to do with average rate pre and post. The first two columns show the percentage savings.

3. typefitter

In terms of total contribution to tax revenue. Not in terms of the percentage of an individual's income he or she pays in taxes.

Right? I'm asking.

4. typefitter

This is actually giving me a headache, so I'm going to withdraw and continue watching Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs II with my boys, which was giving me the headache I had before this one.

doctorquant likes this.
  5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Another bad hombre.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Devin Nunes is dumb as a stump.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You said he personally got money. He didn’t, but I’m a dick if I point that out?

Now, if you want to talk about that money fueling a personal lifestyle, well... I’d like to introduce you to the folks who run a little something called the Clinton Foundation.

QYFW likes this.
  9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wait, you’re telling me that the guy, trying to get business consulting on, and putting together deals, in Russia, exaggerated his ties to the Kremlin?

I’m really shocked by this.

11. Neutral Corner

Did he? Or was he bragging?

12. Neutral Corner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.