1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Edit: Dow was down 1,500 and perked back up a bit. Seems to be out of freefall for the time being.

Sitting at the desk watching it plummet for a while, I started to have flashbacks to Sept. 29, 2008.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

So far, Trump is quiet about the stock market decline. Surprises me. I figured he'd say, "The market is falling because Wall Street is bugged by this fake Russia thing. They're afraid it will hurt me and my presidency. Another reason to shut down this bogus probe."

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

A lot of overleveraged players forced to unwind in the last hour. I haven't seen moves that violent since 2008. No human can keep up with this. It has been frenetic. Just computers dumping positions.

Funny thing is that it is Jay Powell's first day. I am sure the plunge protection team was summoned. No QE4 announcement yet (reversing course yet again because markets freaked out yet again), but it is only his first day.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Keeping Kosher and keeping the Sabbath are commandments from god. If you purport to be Jewish, that should be pretty important.

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Good thing this president's approval rating is in no way tied to the stock market.*

*He has repeatedly taken credit for the stock market.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

These computers doing automatic panicky trading seems like a Dr. Strangelove-esque doomsday device we've all shoved our money into.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Hey @doctorquant Generally speaking, what causes such massive fluctuations in short periods of time ?

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I don't believe that's a very widely held view, at least among the Jews I know.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Automated, algorithmic trading ... orders programmed in when thus-and-such trigger occurs, thus occasionally triggering in other pre-programmed others ... then it corrects (or doesn't).

@The Big Ragu knows more about the details of it than I do. That's the gist, though.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's logical. These are big players that are ridiculously overleveraged. They are programmed to dump before they are facing margin calls they can't meet.

The price action is hysterical. With 100 percent certainty, the plunge protection team stepped in and started buying about 15 to 20 minutes ago. The selling tries to continue and there is a big buyer with a howitzer trying to stabilize things. The people who are stuck with that job are like the 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey team right now, watching the clock and counting down the minutes until 4 pm as they hold off a barrage.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

To say nothing of the fact there are 611 further commandments in the same book. The argument over which of those to keep goes back to Moses.

outofplace likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.