1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Outside of the obvious (belief in one god), keeping the Sabbath is arguably the most important tenet of Judaism.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    YankeeFan likes this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I'm certainly not a Jew, but I'm fairly confident that's not the case.

3. SnarkShark

I was raised Jewish and studied religion in college. What is more important than keeping the Sabbath?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Certain ultraorthodox Jews believe women are inferior to men. They are not permitted to work or drive. Women have to sit separately from men, frequently upstairs.

I attend a Reform synagogue which is led by a female rabbi. Am I disobeying God?

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

If ambivalence about some big commandments disqualified someone from a religion, we’d have a shitload fewer Jews and Christians in this country.

6. SnarkShark

I don’t believe any of it. I am the secular Jew I described. You can believe you’re just as religious, within the guidelines of Judaism, by going to reformed temple, but you’re not.

7. SnarkShark

Just because people consider themselves Jews and Christians doesn’t mean they’re actually Jews and Christians.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I assume you follow Orthodox tenets and don't post on here from sundown Friday to sundown Saturday, right?

I work on the Sabbath. I do this to pay my bills. If God doesn't want me to do so, he can find me a job outside the newspaper industry.

Plus, my grandfather was Orthodox. He was a factory foreman. He observed the Sabbath, but he worked it when his bosses told him he needed to. He did this to pay his bills and put food in the table, in an era when there sure as hell wasn't no lawsuits for religious discrimination.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Who gets to decide?

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I'll take a pass on any religion that requires me to keep scorecards on others.

Inky_Wretch and Sea Bass like this.
  11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The 10 Commandments, of which the Sabbath is just one.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yours seems to be a derivative take. The central tenet of Judaism -- AS MY HICK-ASS EPISCOPALIAN SELF UNDERSTANDS IT -- is that there is one supreme deity who has entered into a covenant with a given people. Keeping the Sabbath is a reminder of this covenant, so it goes ... it is not an end in and of itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.