1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Not for nothing, here's a fine threadjack. Who wouldn't love the oral history of "Trading Places" ?

From 2013, but who cares ...

It's The 30-Year Anniversary Of The Greatest Wall Street Movie Ever Made: Here's The Story Behind It

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
    Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

This thread feels like a confessional booth today.

I'm a Christian, but I'm not exactly practicing.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Of course not. Not working is where observance begins.

But you were talking about "keeping" Shabbos, and practicing Judaism "religiously."

Is someone who merely stays home from work practicing Judaism as "religiously" as someone who stays whom from work and refuses to use electricity?

My point is that there's a continuum of faith along which Jews can practice observantly.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

There's a lot of nuanced debate on the point.

Electricity on Shabbat - Wikipedia

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Trading on margin puts somebody at risk (and that somebody has probably put somebody else at risk, etc., etc.). How at risk those somebodies are is calculated based on where the trader’s positions stand at the end of the day.

8. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Of course there is. But many modern Jews consider themselves Jews without observing the Sabbath.

I brought up the Islamic salah for a reason, because it is a requirement to be a Muslim. Many Jews and Christians have “evolved” to become less observant and overlook commandments that don’t fit their lifestyle, but a Muslim not participating in salah is a pretty serious offense.

Jews not participating in keeping the Sabbath aren’t really participating in the religion aspect of their belief.

They may believe, but I’d argue religiosity is based on their actions and worship, which is laid out by their organized religion.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I notice you ducked the actual substance of my post to attack my own faith again.

Here is the bit that matters. Perhaps you could actually respond to that rather than coming after me again?

I said a Jew can have a strong faith without being Orthodox. I never said I was a great example of that.

Your post seemed to claim that only Jews who are obsessed with Israel truly believe, which is incorrect. It's just like Orthodox Jews who claim that Reform Jews aren't really Jewish. It's ignorant and disrespectful.

With all due respect, you don't get to define who truly believes. Any attempt to do that for others, especially those who practice a different faith from yours, is arrogant and ignorant.

10. outofplace

Are Christians who don't observe the Sabbath on Sunday not really Christians?

Also, your actual statement was saying they don't believe. That is the part I took issue with, but now you are moving the goalposts.

Edited to remove something that makes no sense at all after reading further in the thread.

11. outofplace

Obviously, Shark gets to make the call.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If there is a person who believes they are living by the word of god, you don’t see how it would bother them that others, who aren’t living by the word of god, are trying to say they share in their beliefs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.