1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. There are some Orthodox Jews who would consider another Jewish person dead if they married outside the religion.

2. Baron Scicluna

In reformed Judaism, the right to choose is respected. Conservative is generally split on the idea, while Orthodox is generally against it, except when the woman's life or health is at risk.

I like to point out to the religious liberty crowd on other sites that if they truly got their wish on religious liberty for gay marriage and other issues being paramount, then abortion should remain legal for Reformed Jews, Presbyterians, and other churches because laws against abortion would be denying them their religious liberty. Drives them nuts.

3. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

That's symbolic, not literal. Also, I guess you can't be Jewish if you're dead, but it's not exactly what we were discussing. Fiddler on the Roof is a great play, but I wouldn't use it as a primary source for learning about religion.

4. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Again, that video is not proof of lying. He made two different statements that do not contradict each other.

5. Guy_Incognito

Orthodoxy is more complicated and diverse than that.
    Does it? You should hang out with a smarter religious liberty crowd.

6. Baron Scicluna

They literally believe the married out of the faith person is dead. They have zero contact with them.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Not Reformed, Reform. REFORM Jews. As in, Reform Judaism.

8. Baron Scicluna

Yeah, no kidding. Hence why the religious liberty argument against gays and in other issues is flawed.

9. Guy_Incognito

Do they attempt to bury him? Words have meaning.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't doubt that, though I've never had anybody refuse to shake my hand for religious reasons. I've seen men refuse to shake women's hands for those reasons and I've had women tell me about other such experiences.

I'm just explaining why I used that particular example. My opinion of both is the same.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

His Democrat?

12. Baron Scicluna

I stand corrected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.