1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Nah ... not really. Because in a country of 325 million people, even a properly "small" government is still gonna be large. And you know that. And you know that's not what @YankeeFan (and me and @The Big Ragu) are getting at.

Politics is inherently corrupt. It is the politician's nature, therefore, to be corrupt. The "bigger" the government, the more this nature is indulged.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You specify "smaller" without specifying how much smaller. That's a pretty soft argument.

And if the politician's nature is inherently corrupt, the size of the government won't matter.

He or she will still be corrupt.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Further proof your side has no interest in actually governing but instead wants to just continually inflict noogies on the other 70 percent.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Is it either/or?

6. doctorquant

Wrong. The "larger" (in the way I and others are talking about it) the government, the more opportunities for politicians' corruption to have practical effect.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm just giving you my prediction on how this will play out.

But, let's also not pretend that both sides don't look for "wedge issues" to run on, and to make the other side look bad. Even if you look at something like DACA, do Democrats want to resolve the problem, or have it as an issue to run on?

8. TigerVols

I’m not disagreeing with your parade prediction, even though your wingman QWERTY disagrees with us both.

9. doctorquant

Yes. All such issues MUST be binary. That is how I have come to realize I'm a Trumper. Sarah Huckabee Sanders is a hottie and I'm going to start wearing my tie longer.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Describe "practical effect." Is it always bad? Or do even the most corrupt politicians occasionally create benefits for their constituencies?

Even Boss Tweed kept a lot of folks fed.

Further, we don't seem very concerned about the size of private institutions on the same basis, no matter how rapacious, on the assumption that their existence creates some good for someone somewhere.

11. TigerVols

I find it fascinating that the same people who claim all politicians are corrupt will in the next breath tell us all corporate executives are angels who need no regulation.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.