1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Offseason baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Oct 5, 2017.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The nerve of someone who has options to ... avail himself of those options!

LongTimeListener and cranberry like this.
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He's an ingrate, obviously.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

As far as stubbornness goes, Appel is definitely no Matt Harrington.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If Mark Appel does not spend at least 10 years attempting to be what I thought he would be, he has failed me. It is a mark against his character.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I was at a practice today and a scout was there, talking about Appel, who he had seen extensively in college. He said he was absolutely stunned he didn't make it, that he had everything in world going for him, checked all the boxes. This guy surmised that the fact he had a Stanford education, and something he could fall back on, might have dimmed his desire and work ethic.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It had to be that Appel didn't try hard enough, rather than the scout was wrong.

LongTimeListener and doctorquant like this.
  7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I wonder what the history of can’t-miss prospects who didn’t go to Stanford looks like.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When Clint Hurdle first came up in spring training, Sparky Anderson, Tommy Lasorda, a dozen major league players and many scouts told me if he wasn't the next Mickey Mantle, they were all in the wrong business. Well, Clint's had a nice baseball life, but... Projecting major league talent is very difficult.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I remember a Hurdle quote I read in SI during his playing days, but well after people stopped calling him a phenom. Probably not accurate, but the general idea: "If I'd done everything I was supposed to do, I would have won the triple crown and a couple of World Series, given $25,000 to the Cancer Society, and married Marie Osmond."

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

11. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

Off-season is finally picking up. Russell Wilson traded to the Yankees.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Fucking big-market teams snatching up all the prime talent.

doctorquant likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted