1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sorry for the confusion.

I was only commenting on the notion that things like Facebook or Twitter couldn't be regulated for the kind of commercial tracking and selling they do.

That said, we've regulated, perhaps to our shame, and with varying degrees of success, certain kinds of mass/electronic political speech, paid and unpaid, in the past.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Stipulating their approach was made more effective by purloined data ... I'd put my money on hacked party data. Although given how cheap/effective brute force methods can be, I'm still skeptical as to the likelihood of the purloined data explanation.

TigerVols likes this.
  3. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

You guys have it so easy!

Vombatus likes this.
  4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

These "brute force" approaches to which I'm referring ... you might think of them as escalating clickbait. A thing on Facebook catches your eye, you click on it ... you're now in set A. Those in set A, over time, reveal themselves via other clicks to be in set AA. And so on ... eventually, you've got an audience that's largely told you it's up for what you're selling.

5. lakefront

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

If (for example) you wanted to hurt Hillary, you find a voting district that you think is close enough to swing, then get a list of black voters there. Then you tailor messages citing anything that you think might hurt her chances... "Superpredators", "bring them to heel", welfare reform under Bill Clinton, etc. Do everything you can to target those voters with the aim of getting them to vote against her or stay home and refuse to support her.

The same basics can be used against any candidate of any party using any vulnerability.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

The Russians were doing their thing long before there was a Trump administration. The Obama administration knew it. But those folks were too busy with their own specific election manipulations.

8. lakefront

did you read it or are you going by the title? It talks about Obama.

9. lakefront

Absolutely!

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Perhaps the saddest thing about being a journalist is that the media is never going to be trusted again.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If only congress hadn't scuttled joint resolution 21!

12. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

In September, 2013, when Obama went to the Republican controlled Congress for authorization to enforce that red line .... how did that turn out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.