1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The history of the FBI is pretty interesting, which is why I wondered if there might be some statutory bar on its actively engaging in the business end of prevention. At its founding ... and many years thereafter ...there wasn't much stomach for the FBI having any police power (i.e., firearms, etc.).

2. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

The good alma days.

QYFW and doctorquant like this.
  3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It’s like you don’t even watch The Americans

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

So, who do you think actually is actively investigating Russia's attacks on the core of our democracy? And what has the Administration done as a result?

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

DOI got arrest powers and authorization to carry firearms in 1934. Got the name FBI in 1936. Cool timeline here: Timeline

I'd be shocked if agents weren't carrying on the downlow at the time of the Palmer Raids, though.

And now the obligatory photo of Hoover and his chopper.

J.-Edger-Hoover-Machine-Gun.jpg

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    YankeeFan likes this.
  6. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

A few years ago I read this history of the FBI and interviewed its author Tim Weiner

Anybody who tries to alter or abolish the U.S. is considered an enemy by the FBI, so Russian election meddling definitely qualifies.

7. doctorquant

I swear ... you get more bent out of shape about the narrowest of things.

I would assume someone is investigating. I would actually assume lots of someones are investigating. I would assume the Administration has done something, and I'd also assume it hasn't done nearly enough to suit you.

Beyond that, I haven't the foggiest. The Lawrence Tribe tweet struck me as ... possibly ... one of those things that sounds awfully damning but in reality isn't anything because of procedural or other niceties. That is all.

8. doctorquant

Sure, fine. But what is done as a result of the investigation, and who does it ... it could well be that the FBI isn't involved with that.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. doctorquant

Up until a few years ago I played golf pretty regularly with some retired FBI agents. Good guys. One guy, he used to be responsible for the Lombardi Trophy at the Super Bowl.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Great anecdote. HOF

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Well, the FBI is not supposed to be politicized. They're not supposed to take direction on investigations from Trump. In fact, J. Edgar Hoover expressly refused to do Nixon's dirty work, which set the standard we've been operating under since. They continue to do their work regardless of who is president. Granted, it'd be nice if they picked up the pace and started arresting some people actually related to Trump.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.