1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Deliver? What does that mean? The guilty plea from the former National Security Adviser wasn't enough? The indictment of the former campaign manager was a nothingburger? Look, if people don't care that the administration breaks the law, and there's evidence to indicate many don't, there's not much Mueller or the "liberal part of the media" can do about it. Would an indictment of, oh, Donnie Jr. change that equation? I don't know, but I'm doubtful. But if that did happen, you couldn't say Mueller "didn't deliver."

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Alma is talking about the perception of average Americans, not delusional partisans.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You're fighting a strawman.

4. RickStain

I'm not surprised that this is beyond your depth, but accusing Kaepernick of wanting to "keep the controversy going" is a special level of conservative stupidity rarely seen even in these parts.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It is kind of funny that the Russians were able to turn a presidential race, by swinging the vote in multiple midwestern states, but despite all the concerns about Russian meddling in the 2018 midterms, they can't pull out a victory for their buddy Trump in some lousy local elections?

Hell, what would have been more disruptive than Roy Moore winning the Alabama Senate race? Why didn't Russia win that one for him?

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Sign of the times.

The Arizona Monitor seems to be part of a growing trend of conservative political-messaging sites with names that mimic those of mainstream news organizations and whose favored candidates then tout their stories and endorsements as if they were from independent journalists. It’s a phenomenon that spans the country from northern New England, where the anonymous Maine Examiner wreaked havoc on a recent mayoral election, all the way out to California, where Rep. Devin Nunes launched — as reported by POLITICO— his own so-called news outlet, the California Republican.

Kelli Ward touts endorsement from fake-news site

7. RickStain

Do you understand the difference between “help” and “turn”?

The real answer, which you aren’t interested in, is that the Russian interference was one of a number of factors that coalesced into a Trump victory, not all of which were present in Alabama. But the Russian troll army was most certainly agitating for Moore.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

And the New York Times.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think you're being willfully obtuse about why Pence is being criticized for not standing, but that said, I agree with your general sentiment on an individual level. And if Chloe Kim, for instance, had decided to stay seated as the Korean team entered the stadium, her protest would have been seen as admirable.

As a statesman, however, the Vice President is held to a different standard. International diplomacy is part of the job and the Vice President was not effective in his role as a statesman. Somehow, he made North Korea look good on an international stage. That it also made him look like an enormous hypocrite was just icing on the cake.

For the record, I wasn't at all offended that he didn't stand. I simply think it's poor diplomacy. His message - intended for one delegation - was seen as insulting to another delegation, one we claim as an ally. That's just lousy messaging.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He's a Republican. I know he's supposedly very ethical and the like, but it seems to me he'd lose interest in pursuing a case like this unless there was meaty illegality.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I never cheered anybody for kneeling for the anthem, so your premise falls apart right there.

Also, see bigpern's post. He explained the other issue with Pence's actions very well. He is failing in his role as a statesman representing the United States.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.