1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

You're going to become a victim of your own success. You're going to drive them out of public life and you're going to be crestfallen. You expected them to keep slithering up through that drain and you always want to have your plunger ready to whack-a-mole them back down. You're a fighter and you've knocked them to the canvas and you're screaming "GET UP, HILLARY! GET UP, BILL! GET UP, CHELSEA! I NEED A SPARRING PARTNER! THIS DOESN'T WORK WITH BARACK! HE'S TOO BORING AND INEFFECTUAL!"

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Bullshit. There were more than ten, but that's not the point. If the VP not standing for them and Kaepernick kneeling for the flag are the same thing, then you are being hypocritical for not treating them the same. One is somehow a hero, while the other is not.

In addition, I don't give a shit if it was one North Korean athlete, Pence refused to stand. Big whoop. Stop being a whiner about it. I think Kaepernick is a disrespectful piece of shit for not standing, and is an idiot, but I did not go on and on and on whining like a 13 year old girl about it. I just stopped watching the NFL. What does whining accomplish? I get it; you got butthurt over Pence allegedly disrespecting one of our allies. Get over it, South Korea already has.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Breaking political news:

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Pence's action's and Kaepernick's are not the same thing. That is part of what you are missing.

Pointing out that Pence is acting like a hypocrite is not "whining about it."

Also, to be clear, not everybody criticizing Pence praised Kaepernick. I certainly haven't.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Except has he come to that understanding? Has he admitted he was wrong for leaving the football game and come out and said that he no longer has any objection if anyone kneels before the anthem?

Or is he just repeating the same "THIS IS DIFFERENT!" line that Rainman is saying?

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

A bit off topic, but I've always been a little confused as to why kneeling was interpreted as disrespect. Hasn't kneeling always been considered a reverent gesture? When it started happening during the anthem I took it as a peaceful and respectful way to make a point.

It's not like walking around the stadium with two middle fingers in the air or something.

TowelWaver, franticscribe and Hermes like this.
  7. Baron Scicluna

Because one represents the powerful showing disrespect for those lesser. The other is represents the oppressed showing disrespect for the powerful.

8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I feel like doing a handstand would be the ultimate disrespect.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. Baron Scicluna

Because you have certain people who live in an all or nothing world where if everyone and everything doesn't conform to their worldview, then they are being disrespected.

You had Southern whites wondering why blacks were being disrespectful of their "right" to be the dominant race because blacks wanted to sit at the same lunch counter just like they did.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Nah, I shrugged at Pence's rudeness. Same as I did when the players started kneeling. You're the one "butthurt" in this whole thing.

And according to every story I've seen, NK sent 10 athletes. Maybe there were some coaches marching too. But the vast majority were South Koreans.

12. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

It's almost like people were looking for a reason to be offended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.