1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

In fact, after Kaepernick originally sat for the anthem and faced the backlash, he spoke with Green Beret Nate Boyer, who advised him that taking a knee would show respect while still effectively making his protest known.

"We sorta came to a middle ground where he would take a knee alongside his teammates," Boyer says. "Soldiers take a knee in front of a fallen brother's grave, you know, to show respect."

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And you are missing that NOTHING ever qualifies as "the same thing." There will always be some difference of degree that can be rationalized to whatever extent the rationalizer chooses.

"It's not the same thing!!!!!" is the single most tired argument in existence.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Other than the one picture, has anybody written that Olympic etiquette requires all national leaders rise for the entrance of the host country? I'm not a Pence defender - but if everyone is standing up, doesn't it kind of obscure the host nation's head of state?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Did the different expectations for vice presidents of the United States and NFL quarterbacks completely escape you?

You seem agitated. Perhaps you are still upset by your failed attempt to paint me as a hypocrite? Next time, try to have your facts in order so your premise can't be so easily dismissed. If you need a review, you claimed that I was hypocritical for criticizing Pence after cheering those who knelt during the national anthem. The problem being, I never cheered them. I'm assuming you needed the review since you failed to acknowledge your error.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He has restricted access to the president and regularized the information flow.

No doubt this vexes people who benefited from the free-for-all atmosphere of the pre-Kelly days. It might also explain Kelly’s misguided reluctance to oust Porter, since it appears he was integral to the process of managing the West Wing. Kelly may indeed need to go, but it’s hard to see how his ouster will lead to a more disciplined White House.
    He has restricted access to the president and regularized the information flow. No doubt this vexes people who benefited from the free-for-all atmosphere of the pre-Kelly days. It might also explain Kelly’s misguided reluctance to oust Porter, since it appears he was integral to the process of managing the West Wing. Kelly may indeed need to go, but it’s hard to see how his ouster will lead to a more disciplined White House.
    So this floats the idea that Porter, who was a twice-accused domestic abuser, was retained because he represented a sense of normalcy. That's encouraging.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No doubt this is why not much, if anything, is being leaked and why his work is not done. Keeping all his bases covered, i's dotted and t's crossed.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

T
    H
    E

B
    E
    S
    T

P
    E
    O
    P
    L
    E

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This seriously reads like an OOP parody account.

10. HanSenSE

I'm sure Melania will come up with the same playlist next year.

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. HanSenSE

Even taking Kaepernick out of the equation, it was still a dick move by Pence.

BadgerBeer and Neutral Corner like this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.