1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

lakefront and Stoney like this.
  2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

When you've lost the New York Post, ....

3. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I get why the two debates are linked, given the similarity in argumentation for and against. But I think there's a way to convey the horror of mass shootings without a dismissive comparison to abortion.

I admire that freedom of religion too. That's partly why in spite of the fact that I think abortion is at best tragic and at its worst horrifically evil, I can't see a realistic scenario that it could be made illegal. I vote for pro-choice candidates because they tend to support an overall platform that best represent my beliefs, which include religious views. But I think most people who can't budge from their pro-life stance are sincere and justified.

I say all this because I think any meaningful gun legislation will only happen with the support of gun proponents. At the risk of generalizing, it seems like a great many of those folks are pro-life. It's going to be hard to convince them that you are truly distraught over children being slaughtered in schools when you also laugh and mock at the very idea that abortion is the killing of babies (the general 'you,' I'm not trying to misrepresent what you're saying).

Slacker and Inky_Wretch like this.
  4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

If we had a better system of shared prosperity in this country, along with vital institutions that weren't corrupted by greed and piss-poor leadership, seems to me that we would have a lot fewer abortions. But we aren't a healthy society anymore – in mind, spirit or functionality – so most abortions are probably done for convenience, which is irresponsible and offensive to others as well.

Abortion is a real dilemma, yes. But we're sick all over now, and we're running out of time to get things fixed.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  5. Slacker

JFC ...

[​IMG]

Also, here's another pro tip: FORGO.

6. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Somebody has to catch that. Jesus.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Would anyone putting together the front page of the paper have any idea what sticky ad is going to get slapped on? I have no idea. We do some sticky ads and I would be very surprised if our designers had any idea what they were going to be.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Someone higher up on the food chain had to know, obviously. Advertising, production, mail room. And I know that's asking a lot of the latter.

Still.

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

That really showed them.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The way newspapers are produced these days, laid out one place, produced somewhere else? I'm sure the ad guy, the production and editorial guy will each try and lay it off on each other. But it's an Ad responsibility. You want to be on the front page - this is what happens. I'm sure the gun shop isn't doing cartwheels either. It happed about 1 p.m. Florida times - well ahead of the 3 p.m. newsroom mtg. (they still have those?) so this isn't something that broke after the big bosses left for the day.

11. Slacker

12. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

There's no sincere parallel between the gun debate and the abortion debate. It's the desperate last gasp of someone who knows they lost any semblance of common sense in their argument.

Abortion will never be settled in this country. One side sees it as a reproductive health issue, one side sees it as a criminal issue. We're comparing apples and Volkswagens and it goes nowhere.

There is much more common ground on the gun debate. Not saying it will be easy, but something closer to a consensus is achievable. Those who want to move toward more restrictions should amplify the voices of the victims and witnesses speaking out in Florida right now.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Deskgrunt50 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.