1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Brought to you by a single babies momma who has no baby daddy

2. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"Must they run their mouths like that?"

- Laura Ingraham

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That’s really good, and it’s also why the seemingly unrelated abortion debate is related.

Conservatives - mostly white and straight, generally male - feel a loss of culture, and in using abortion as a counterpoint, they’re saying “I do care about life - just as much as you do. But my variant of caring is written off by you as awful. What’s more, my ownership of guns is written off as the same. So, so long as I’m an awful person all around, how about I just keep my guns and fight every square inch to do it?”

And I know, I know: White people have run this country from the beginning, they enjoy mass privileges that others do not, how dare men tell women what to do with their bodies , etc, etc. I get all that.

Nevertheless: Guns are a cultural last resort for many people - mostly white, mostly straight, mostly men. I hate guns. I’m the one who doesn’t even want the police to have them most
    of the time, and who has fought, for years, inside my church to keep “conceal and carry” types outside our doors. But I know the debate is bigger than the guns. At this point, it’s about preserving culture. Liberals aren’t in the mood to give away any of their cultural gains, and conservatives aren’t in the business of giving any of their remaining ones away, either.

Liberals will have to take them. In 10-15 years, they will significantly reduce gun rights. It’s coming.

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Not true. All transported to an island to wreak havoc in exile.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As a gun owner, I think the NRA's hardline is going to wind up leading to much stricter gun laws. While they fear the slippery slope, they seem unconcerned about the dam breaking entirely. As the nation becomes less white and less rural, it eventually will.

Neutral Corner and TowelWaver like this.
  8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Meh, they will switch over to the civil war business.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The piece Inky linked is good, and hits the nail on the head regarding a lot of issues, not just this one, as you note. But I do think that people legitimately want these semi-automatics wiped from the face of the Earth, and for good reason. Everyone knows there's a line - you can't own a nuclear weapon. The guns being used in these massacres need to be on the nuclear weapon side of the line. Of course, what seems like common sense to me seems preposterous to a gun owner. At any given Walgreens or CVS, there are three or four magazines on the rack featuring these killing machines on the cover.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

At my local grocery store, I counted 16 guns/weapons magazines on the rack. No other subject was so well represented.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Then, as always, fuck them. We'll just have to outvote them. Because you can't reason with someone that far gone.

If 48% of the country were 100% convinced that jacking off in the shower killed millions of potential human lives and was thus genocide, there's nothing we can do but make sure the sane 49% show up on election day.

TigerVols likes this.
  12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

One of those is wonderful, the other is a terrible thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.