1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Well, it's not really an argument. It's collective hand holding in service of a long-gone way of life.

The frontier closed a hundred years ago. And we had better gun regulations as recently as twenty years ago.

What changed?

Are we all supposed to accept a mountain of gunshot victims in the meantime because some dead-enders feel insulted by genderless restrooms?

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think that it is within the realm of possibility that Miss Knavs signed a prenuptial contract that allows Donald to do whatever he wants.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Leaving aside hunters/sportsmen for a minute, and those who believe the second amendment is necessary to prevent against a tyrannical government, you're not going to make much head way with gun control until you figure out a way to get guns out of the hands of criminals.

People have legitimate concerns for their safety, and for protecting their homes.

If gun control laws are enacted, and enforced, the law abiding will comply. But, what about criminals?

And, if criminals know that homeowners do not have guns, concerns will only grow.

I don't see any of the gun control responses to these tragedies addressing this issue.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That was all marketing for the gun manufacturers. Sales exploded. AR sales skyrocketed after Sandy Hook.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I saw an even better conspiracy theory on Twitter yesterday that the $5 million payment to Melania's friend for "event planning" by the inaugural committee was a payoff to Melania to be held in sort of escrow for as long as she's First Lady.

7. YankeeFan

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You are hiding the ball.

There is a particular, urgent problem right now that needs addressing - mass shootings, mostly by young, white males, mostly using AR-15 or similar rapid-fire guns.

We can worry later about how to keep Shorty Mac on the West Side of Chicago from obtaining a hand gun.

I agree that Shorty Mac is fairly likely to find a way to obtain a gun. Nikolas Cruz and James Holmes, on the other hand, are not.

9. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

A "busy" day of Newsmax / Drudge / Fox / Washington Examiner / Rush / InfoWars to come up with this? Low energy! SAD!

CONCERNS WILL ONLY GROW

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I've been hearing that bullshit for as long as I've been alive. An AR-15 has no purpose but mass killing. It's not for protection. Handguns make a home a MORE likely target for robberies and burglaries, as guns are a highly fungible black market asset. Robberies and buglaries of gun stores, which in your theory would be well protected, happen all the time. Handgun possession increases the risk of a plain old fatal accident well beyond the likelihood of home invasion.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

I get a kick out of this line of thought.

When Clinton was getting blow jobs in the oval office, any suggestion that Hillary should be embarrassed or should leave him was met head on. It was her marriage, and no one else has any reason to weigh in. It's her decision, and she should be left alone to deal with it.

In this case, we have folks insisting that Melania must be embarrassed and rooting for her to leave him. I wonder what the difference is.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I have yet to see any discussion of banning the most effective home defense option - a shotgun - in the wake of these mass shootings.

If you're using an AR for home defense, well, you're probably a subscriber to Recoil magazine and wear 5.11 pants.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.