1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One president is a member of the Party of Family Values. The other was not.

lakefront likes this.
  2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

The gun details on the largest shooting in U.S. history. All bought legally from a private seller:

Twenty-four firearms, a large quantity of ammunition, and numerous high-capacity magazines capable of holding up to 100 rounds apiece were found in the suite.[1][12][13] Fourteen of the firearms were .223-caliber AR-15-type semi-automatic rifles: three manufactured by Colt, two by Daniel Defense, two by FN Herstal, two by LWRC International, two by POF-USA, one with a .223 Wylde chamber by Christensen Arms, one made-to-order by LMT, and one by Noveske. The others were seven .308-caliber AR-10-type rifles, one .308-caliber Ruger American bolt-action rifle, and one .38-caliber Smith & Wesson Model 342 revolver.[1][14][15][16] The AR-15 rifles were fitted with vertical forward grips and bump fire stocks,[1][14] the latter of which allowed for recoil to actuate their triggers at a rate of 90 rounds in 10 seconds.[17] The AR-10 rifles were equipped with various telescopic sights and mounted on bipods.[1][18][19]The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives determined that the firearms found in his hotel room, along with more guns found in his homes, had been legally purchased in the states of Nevada, California, Texas, and Utah.[20] In the month preceding the shooting, he had attempted to purchase a large quantity of tracer ammunition, but the gun dealer he approached did not have the item in stock.[21] However, he at some point managed to purchase another large quantity of tracer ammunition from a private seller at a Phoenix, Arizona gun show.[22]

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I have not and would not argue that any law would prevent all mass shootings.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

That's why you make it mandatory to turn in guns. And then if you're caught with them, you're in big trouble. Mandatory minimums. Take the drug offenders out of jails -- especially for pot -- and replace them with gun offenders.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I might normally agree with the politics of horse-trading our way to better gun laws.

But in the current circumstance we're talking about a public health crisis, an epidemic putting every American at risk.

We wouldn't ask medicine for half-measures in the case of a fast-spreading disease. It's like putting anti-vaxxers in charge of the CDC.

"We'll let you prevent polio, but only if you let us keep rubella."

Madness.

SnarkShark likes this.
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Adam Lanza used his mom's guns, right?

I think one of the other shooters stole his dad's gun.

I just think we could focus on threats instead of, or at least in addition to, guns. It's the whole El-Al way of security, right? (Which I know is very expensive, and is used on one, very small airline.)

We need a system that allows dots to be connected, so that we can identify these guys. It's not unlike the measures we took to make sure information was shared post 9/11.

Alarms should have gone off all over the place when this guy bought a gun. His former classmates used to joke that he would be the kid to shoot up a school, and he was banned from bringing a back pack to school. You can't tell me there was nothing we could do, and that we need to outlaw a whole class of gun for everyone to prevent this.

7. Dick Whitman

I wouldn't do that. But I wonder how much could be earmarked in a budget for a massive buyback program. Pay twice what these things are worth just to get as many of them as possible out of circulation and destroyed.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Meh. That argument gets tiresome as well. There are other differences, such as when the incidents happened. Our culture is constantly changing. I don't think Trump could have been elected 20 years ago.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sorry, but why should liberals have to lower themselves to do lemon headed compromises just because a certain segment of society needs to be brought kicking and screaming into the 21st century?

10. Dick Whitman

And yet here I am ...

11. Dick Whitman

Part of it is the times. But part of it is that people knew damn well already that Trump is a serial adulterer. It's practically part of his brand.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

That would be one of the dumbest and most ineffective uses of taxpayer money in history. You're smarter than that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.