1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I will trust you on that.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

People who already think the government is too intrusive will be totally OK with the Feds spying on law-abiding citizens.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Do something, even if it’s wrong.

I would start with mandatory security at all schools. It would be relatively cheap and a good first step in addressing the vulnerability of children. Don’t have to turn schools into prisons but we should at least afford our children a level of security that adults enjoy when entering pretty much every municipal building we find ourselves in.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Weren't there two armed police officers at this particular high school?

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There was one, apparently. He never saw the gunmen. Public high schools can be pretty big places.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, though we tend to loosen it a bit with events like that. However, it turned political awfully fast so we "moved" the discussion over here quicker than normal.

We do try, honest.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I know there was at least one. I can’t imagine your saying there’s nothing we can do with regard to more security at schools. I think more security at schools would be a good political trade-off for increased gun restrictions.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

um, we're already there. Do you have children in schools? The Florida shooter shot people at dismissal time. It's a high school of 3000 people. Are you going to have them all leave individually so that a door isn't held open for a guy looking to do harm? How about we focus on the guy doing the harm. Your willful inability to focus on the actual issue is astounding.

Donny in his element likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

I'm not trying to hassle you about it so much as I'm just probing the limits for future understanding of the lines.

10. Dick Whitman

I think, probably more than most people, that mass shootings are a problem that need to be attacked on multiple policy fronts.

HanSenSE and QYFW like this.
  11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Almost like we live in a unique society.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You mean do something - even if it's wrong?

There's no more evidence that armed guards at schools make them safer than there is to argue gun buybacks would never work here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.